Piano Cello Cake

Decorating By BatterUpCake Updated 16 Mar 2014 , 1:18am by Bythebullseye

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 12:45am
post #1 of 31

Has anyone on here done a similar cake? Any tips?

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

30 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 12:55am
post #2 of 31

AThat's really cool. :)I like how they carved the cello side!

BatterUpCake Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 1:00am
post #3 of 31

what do you think the strings might be made of? All I can find out about it is that it was for some conductors birthday. I have a family member who has been the best nanny to my granddaughter since birth. She plays all kinds of instruments and would LOVE this. Of course I could not do it justice but I think I could pull off a fair rendition....maybe

sixinarow Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 1:04am
post #4 of 31

AYou could use dental floss, it would be safe to put on the cake and might be the right diameter for the strings.

keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 1:05am
post #5 of 31

No but I just did a whole viola. If that was my cake I would cover it with white fondant as a whole. Paint and indent the cello side. Then add the line indentations for the keys on the piano side. Followed by adding all the black accent pieces  and keys for the piano side and the bridge, finger board and strings for the cello side. Then any other small details left to add. HTH. GL. Post a pic when you're done.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 1:05am
post #6 of 31

AIt looks like floral wire, but I'm looking at it on my phone so I can't see super close

sixinarow Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 1:09am
post #7 of 31

A

Original message sent by Smckinney07

It looks like floral wire, but I'm looking at it on my phone so I can't see super close

Hahaha, me too, I'm trying to squint to see it! :)

sixinarow Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 1:19am
post #8 of 31

Moved to my pc, it does look like wire. That would be easier too since it's already stiff.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 1:56am
post #9 of 31

You could make unbreakable gel. Or use angel hair pasta painted with silver.

AZCouture Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 1:57am
post #10 of 31

I wouldn't use wire on a design like that. Maybe a BIG cake, where it would be really obvious to take them off, but something that small, I'd go with edible. You never know, customers are not, ummmm, brilliant at all times and could forget one, and it could get pushed into the cake when they cut it, and someone may inadvertently eat it.

BatterUpCake Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 1:57am
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingitreal21 

No but I just did a whole viola. If that was my cake I would cover it with white fondant as a whole. Paint and indent the cello side. Then add the line indentations for the keys on the piano side. Followed by adding all the black accent pieces  and keys for the piano side and the bridge, finger board and strings for the cello side. Then any other small details left to add. HTH. GL. Post a pic when you're done.

If I don't post a pic you'll know it was a disaster! lol I was going to use chocolate fondant for the cello side but I like your idea better

BatterUpCake Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:00am
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

You could make unbreakable gel. Or use angel hair pasta painted with silver.

I like the angel hair pasta idea! And it is already in the cabinet...I just don't have any vodka for m shimmer dust. Guess it's time for a trip to the package store! Do you think a liter would be enough? lol

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:57am
post #13 of 31

Hmm. The visual equivalent of some timbres that synthesist Wendy Carlos invented, when she first got going with digital: by grafting the envelope of one sound onto the partials of another, she came up with the sounds of a bowed piano, and of a cello played with piano hammers (the latter finds a place near the end of one of the movements of her "Digital Moonscapes" suite for digitally simulated orchestra).

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 4:39am
post #14 of 31

AI've read of some people using Extracts to mix their coloring, it just doesn't dry/evaporate as quickly.

It does look like wire right?! Lol

But AZ made a good point with the angel hair, I always use it with characters for kids cakes but I never thought to paint it. Nice!

keepingitreal21 Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 4:41am
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

I like the angel hair pasta idea! And it is already in the cabinet...I just don't have any vodka for m shimmer dust. Guess it's time for a trip to the package store! Do you think a liter would be enough? lol

You can check out my pictures to see how the unbreakable gel looks on the Viola cake I made if you would like. However for such a small scale, pasta on hand is a lot easier and cheaper. I had the unbreakable gel on hand and needed a neater look for a larger scale.

keepingitreal21 Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 4:45am
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

I've read of some people using Extracts to mix their coloring, it just doesn't dry/evaporate as quickly.

It does look like wire right?! Lol

But AZ made a good point with the angel hair, I always use it with characters for kids cakes but I never thought to paint it. Nice!

Unbreakable gel will give you a wired look.

keepingitreal21 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 8:01am
post #17 of 31

How's it coming?

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 11:25am
post #18 of 31

I am actually starting this this morning. Doing my version of MACSMOM's orange cream covered in ganache. Procrastinating going to the store! lol

This time I am running a stopwatch while I do anything cake related to figure out my actual time.

keepingitreal21 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 3:57pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:

I am actually starting this this morning. Doing my version of MACSMOM's orange cream covered in ganache. Procrastinating going to the store! lol

This time I am running a stopwatch while I do anything cake related to figure out my actual time.

Tried that a few times...forgot about the watch on my down time...lol! So it didn't do much good with all the extra time added in. Oh well. GL! Can't wait to see pics.

P.S. Don't worry, I won't do an image search on yours...LMAO!

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 6:27pm
post #20 of 31

This one would be on cake disasters if I was stupid enough to take pictures! LOL....first time making the dreamsicle cake and it was very soft and crumbly...torted & Filled with amaretto SMBC. Covered in ganache...so far, great. Well then I pull out the fondant I made and used 2 days ago...white fondant & gooey chocolate. Uh-uh!

My carpal tunnel is really bothering me today so I was irritated and started rushing. My fondant sucked so I went and picked up some Satin Ice. My first time using it...yum. but I must have rolled it too thin because it ripped. And then became covered in chocolate. I pulled all of that crap off taking most of the ganache with it. SO I poured more ganache and piped on Some SMBC roses. It is a surprise cake for a cousins birthday and I wanted to practice it so no big deal. It looks like a regular cake and from the crumbs I scavaged it tastes delicious so she will love it. Back to the drawing board! lol...Lesson...next time use a firmer cake and white BC under the "fondane" lol

AZCouture Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 6:39pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:

SO I poured more ganache and piped on Some SMBC roses.

Wait...what? Poured the ganache? What kind of ganache are you using???

AZCouture Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 6:40pm
post #22 of 31

What kind of ganache did you put on the first time? You're not using pouring ganache under fondant are you?

sixinarow Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 6:43pm
post #23 of 31

ASorry it didn't turn out, but at least it'll taste good! You said you poured ganache the second time, if you want to use it under fondant, it needs to be thick, like peanut butter when it's spread on so it'll set and give you a firm base for your fondant. If you wanted poured ganache ..disregard my useless information! ;)

sixinarow Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 6:45pm
post #24 of 31

AHaha, AZ beat me to it!

AZCouture Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 6:50pm
post #25 of 31

Here's a good visual for the type of ganache you use under fondant, and a good recipe too. They're all basically the same, working with ratios.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151454061142331&set=a.261635412330.148921.205059342330&type=1&theater

keepingitreal21 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 6:53pm
post #26 of 31

Aww, better luck next. Look at it as a trial run. icon_lol.gif

BatterUpCake Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 12:39am
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Here's a good visual for the type of ganache you use under fondant, and a good recipe too. They're all basically the same, working with ratios.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151454061142331&set=a.261635412330.148921.205059342330&type=1&theater

Hahah...so now I know!!! So now my question is what makes this better under fondant than regular BC? Does it spread easier? I really dont like traditional BC...Thanks guys!

BTW...this is only my second time using ganache...the first time I whipped it as a filling. Have another order tomorrow....have to try again..

AZCouture Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 12:43am
post #28 of 31

AIt's just another method, most Aussies use ganache, and it's gaining popularity here daily, since it really helps to get good sharp edges. There's a thread here called 'never using bc under fondant again' or something like that, and it's full of great info. I'd read that, and it will probably answer any question you can think of.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 12:45am
post #29 of 31

That is SO cool.  And Original.

BatterUpCake Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 12:50am
post #30 of 31

It is a beautiful cake and I am determined to make it. I just don't have much time to practice stuff like this. The Susan G Komen Foundation got back with me today and I am making 1,000 cupcakes and several cakes to sell at their race for The Cure  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%