Wal-Mart But-R-Cream , Refrigeration Or No?

Decorating By gavsgirl Updated 15 Jul 2013 , 11:19pm by DebbyJG

gavsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gavsgirl Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 13

I purchased a half-sheet iced with their but-r-cream icing for a party I'm having tomorrow. They don't decorate "copyright" characters so I'm piping on my own character but I started to wonder, does it need refrigeration? I'm pretty sure we have gotten cakes from there before and not refrigerated it but I don't want to risk the cake going bad between now and tomorrow at noon. Thanks for your help in advance!

12 replies
vtanderson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtanderson Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 13

If it was cold when they gave it to you, I'd probably refrigerate, although I"m sure it's an american buttercream... so all that sugar would be a preservative.  Give them a call?

kerry126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerry126 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 13

It is the same But-R-Cream Sam's Club sells and no refrigeration is required.  It is shelf stable. 

snm0820 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snm0820 Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 4:21am
post #4 of 13

ANo refrigeration is needed, but if it already has some kind of decoration on it (like a color border) I would suggest refrigerating it because their colors tend to run if they get too warm.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 6:19am
post #5 of 13

I'm sure it'll be okay left out for years - I mean, anything with the name But-R-Creme* cannot possibly be classified as edible.

I wonder if people actually do eat it, or just purchase it for use in chemistry experiments.....

* note: creme is the proper spelling of this product.

*Ingredients: Sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (soybean and/or palm oil), water, corn starch, mono & diglycerides, polysorbate 60, salt, polyglycerol esters of fatty acids, artificial flavor, potassium sorbate and sorbic acid (as preservatives), citric acid, propylene glycol, dextrose. **Contains: Soy Ingredients. Product information/materials may change. Refer to the package or call for updates.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 6:37am
post #6 of 13

AIs that for hemorrhoid relief?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 7:52am
post #7 of 13

ALol Anna...seriously though, WHO thought that was an attractive name for icing?

Godot Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 7:58am
post #8 of 13

AWell, seeing as it contains absolutely NO butter, and definately no cream - they can't legally call it buttercream so I guess but-r-cream was the next best thing.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 13

AWe used that and another one at the grocery stores I worked. I think that one is kosher parve (dairy and meat free) while the other one we used had "milk solids" Mmm Mmm Mmm! For some reason I don't think of dry milk, it makes me think of cottage cheese. The name of it made me giggle the first few times but then it started grossing me out.

Godot Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 13

AMilk solids. Makes me think of nasty old curdled milk.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:49pm
post #11 of 13

used it at the bakery i used to be at (briefly.)  definitely needs no refrigeration.

ttaunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttaunt Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 10:41pm
post #12 of 13

I'm trying to access a price list for Sam's club buttercream and other icings on the internet and am not able to get it. What phrase should I be putting in the search slot to find this. I have ordered some icing by calling Sams and they gave me the price,but I would like to see what else they have to offer-cake layers,cupcakes etc.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 11:19pm
post #13 of 13

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Is that for hemorrhoid relief?

Love! I've always called "American buttercreme" -that contains 0% butter "industrial oil byproduct sludge" but I like your idea better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%