Marshmallow Fondant

Baking By saharlatheef Updated 16 Jul 2013 , 1:06pm by CakeRae80

saharlatheef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saharlatheef Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 21

I've been making marshmallow fondant off late after watching the Craftsy class by Jessica Harris, it's a brilliant recipe and I absolutely love the fondant, it's smooth, pliable and very yummy! 
I've got my customers coming back and asking about the fondant coz it's so very tasty! 
Although my only issue is that I never manage to get it super pure white. Any idea how I can make it white? I do use a bit of vanilla extract which is brown, but I use very little - about 1/4 tsp for a bag of marshmallows. Is it because of that? Or the corn syrup I use is of the brand Karo and it has a slight yellowy tinge to it. 
It'd be great if someone can help me with this :) 
Thanks! 

20 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 21

AIf you want a pure white fondant don't put anything in it that has color. Use clear extracts.

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

If you want a pure white fondant don't put anything in it that has color. Use clear extracts.

What manddi said. I make MMF too but I don't add the flavor & it tastes fine.  It's white! I use a bag of marshmallows, 5 TBSP of water and microwave that for 30 seconds at a time until melted. Then add about 3/4 of a bag of confectioner sugar and stir, stir, stir. Then I take it out of the bowl and keep adding the confectioner sugar little by little and knead the fondant.  It's super easy and fairly quick, tastes yummy and is white! Hope this helps...

saharlatheef Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 21

I'll try doing that! Thanks :) 
Also, I think the corn syrup makes it a bit more pliable? Is it fine without it? 

saharlatheef Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 21

I'll do that next time! Thanks! :) 

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 21

If it's a little off-white, add a tiny drop of violet food coloring to the melted marshmallows before you knead in the powdered sugar and it will off set the yellowish tint. I don't use corn syrup, it can make it sticky, if you want to make it more pliable, add some shortening (crisco) to it.

Hth

saharlatheef Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 21

Oh perfect! I'll try that too :) 

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRae80 

What manddi said. I make MMF too but I don't add the flavor & it tastes fine.  It's white! I use a bag of marshmallows, 5 TBSP of water and microwave that for 30 seconds at a time until melted. Then add about 3/4 of a bag of confectioner sugar and stir, stir, stir. Then I take it out of the bowl and keep adding the confectioner sugar little by little and knead the fondant.  It's super easy and fairly quick, tastes yummy and is white! Hope this helps...

If you have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, that works great for mixing/kneading your fondant. I use mine and I love it for that.

darkchocolate Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by saharlatheef 

I've been making marshmallow fondant off late after watching the Craftsy class by Jessica Harris, it's a brilliant recipe and I absolutely love the fondant, it's smooth, pliable and very yummy! 
I've got my customers coming back and asking about the fondant coz it's so very tasty! 
Although my only issue is that I never manage to get it super pure white. Any idea how I can make it white? I do use a bit of vanilla extract which is brown, but I use very little - about 1/4 tsp for a bag of marshmallows. Is it because of that? Or the corn syrup I use is of the brand Karo and it has a slight yellowy tinge to it. 
It'd be great if someone can help me with this :) 
Thanks! 

I added some Americolor Bright White and I think that helped mine looked whiter.  I also use the Karo Syrup in mine. 

saharlatheef Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:03pm
post #10 of 21

A

Original message sent by darkchocolate

If you have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, that works great for mixing/kneading your fondant. I use mine and I love it for that.

Oh that's awesome! I've never used it for kneading fondant. I do have a KitchenAid but I thought it wouldn't turn out right!

saharlatheef Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 21

A

Original message sent by darkchocolate

I added some Americolor Bright White and I think that helped mine looked whiter.  I also use the Karo Syrup in mine. 

That's brilliant! Just that we don't get Americolors in Dubai, I'll try buying it online and try it :) Thanks!

stephanie1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie1972 Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 21

Ause the caro lilly white corn syrup, thats what i use adn mine is always white

CakeRae80 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 3:02pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchocolate 

I have a Kitchen Aid and I want to try this the next time I make it.  Believe it or not my boss at my full time job told me to do the same thing.  He has no clue about cakes and always questions me when I tell him what is in cakes or icing... But I thought he might be onto something.  Do you use the dough hook for this?

darkchocolate Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 4:50pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:

I have a Kitchen Aid and I want to try this the next time I make it.  Believe it or not my boss at my full time job told me to do the same thing.  He has no clue about cakes and always questions me when I tell him what is in cakes or icing... But I thought he might be onto something.  Do you use the dough hook for this?

Yes, I do use the dough hook.  Just make sure to coat the bowl and dough hook with Crisco, so the fondant doesn't stick.  I can't even imagine making the fondant by hand. I love using my Kitchen Aid.  I hope you find it makes the process so much easier. I just made some black fondant and I added the black Americolor to my melted marshmallows, then added the powdered sugar.

CakeRae80 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 5:20pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchocolate 

Yes, I do use the dough hook.  Just make sure to coat the bowl and dough hook with Crisco, so the fondant doesn't stick.  I can't even imagine making the fondant by hand. I love using my Kitchen Aid.  I hope you find it makes the process so much easier. I just made some black fondant and I added the black Americolor to my melted marshmallows, then added the powdered sugar.

Believe me it is quit the goopy mess!!!  I can't wait to try it in there next time I have to make it.  I've seen it done in the food processor but never heard of the Kitchen Aid until like I said my boss suggested it.  He has some good ideas sometimes...lol

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 5:23pm
post #16 of 21

AI have a pro line kitchen aid and I still do it by hand lol. I'm weird. I just like to feel it coming together I can gauge it better

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 5:31pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

I have a pro line kitchen aid and I still do it by hand lol. I'm weird. I just like to feel it coming together I can gauge it better

Me too. icon_wink.gif

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 7:00pm
post #18 of 21

AMe three! I used to use a dough hook in my kitchenaid to make fondat, but I switched to hand making it and like it much better. Definitely better feel for how much sugar it needs. I melt the marshmallows in a big glass bowl that has been greased with shortening, then add some powdered sugar and mix it in there to get it to hold toghether a bit better. Then I put the rest of the sugar on my clean glass table, pour the mixture on top and knead the sugar in like that. I use shortening to grease my hands, of course.

As for the color, you can use either Wilton or americolor white to make it whiter. I've tried adding violet, but even the tinies amount seemed to make it more gray than white.

I use a very high quality vanilla extract that definitely tints the fondant off white, but I refuse to give up great flavor for a bright bright white. Yes, it tastes "fine" without extract or with imitation clear extract, but I'm convinced that's why fondant gets a negative reputation. I want a great taste, not just good enough!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 10:52pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:

If you are using your kitchenaid for fondant, make sure your motor is strong enough to handle it!  I have read stories of people ruining their machine because their machine was not one of the heavier duty ones.  If your machine is ok for bread dough, it should be ok for fondant. 

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 2:50am
post #20 of 21

AI have the cheapest kitchen aid they make and mine came with a bread hook so any kitchen aid should be able to handle the job based on that logic

Original message sent by jennicake

If you are using your kitchenaid for fondant, make sure your motor is strong enough to handle it!  I have read stories of people ruining their machine because their machine was not one of the heavier duty ones.  If your machine is ok for bread dough, it should be ok for fondant. 

. Having said that, I've never used it to make bread or fondant.

CakeRae80 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 1:06pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake 

Mine is a better model, it is just older.  I think it's about 12 years old now.  It's been used hard over those 12 years and it still acts like it's new out of the box.  So fingers crossed.  I've mixed some heavy duty cookie batters in that thing over the years, and haven't had any issues with those.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%