Earlene's Cream Cheese Buttercream & Humidity?

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 12 Jul 2013 , 10:14am by morganchampagne

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 2:59am
post #1 of 5

I live in AZ and normally it is very, very dry here (talking 7% humidity).  I have a wedding cake due shortly and they requested cream cheese buttercream - being mid summer, I opted to use Earlene's.  Today, it happened to be overcast & humid and hot - about 100 degrees out with 30-40% humidity.  I just took my crumb coated cakes out of the fridge and began to slap on the buttercream...and it began to slide around on the cake.  So, I did the best I could to get that baby as smooth as possible and sat around waiting for it to crust - which usually takes 10-15 minutes.  25 minutes later and it is still very tacky to the touch and looks wet.  Am I setting myself up for a problem with this cake?  Do you foresee a problem with the fondant going on (using Fondex)?  I'm afraid if we're having issues NOW - how bad is it going to be at the venue?

Any suggestions on how to deal with this??

4 replies
dukeswalker Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 4:08am
post #2 of 5

Ok...so that baby never did crust AND it started to make bubbles. What the?!?

I have never had that happen to me before!!  

It is a very moist carrot cake that I baked up a few days ago, wrapped and froze.  I took it out of the freezer this morning, let it sit on the counter, wrapped, until they were defrosted and then I put on a crumb coat.  All seemed to be going ok.  Then I let them hang out in the fridge for about 8 hours and then brought them out to put on the buttercream.  Which is where the problems began. 

It is *crazy* moist after freezing it.  Any suggestions?  I have scraped off the buttercream and unstacked them and scraped off the filling.  They are now sitting all sad and naked staring at me as I contemplate whether I need to rebake this whole cake.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 5:14am
post #3 of 5

AWell meringue based BCs don't crust so with regards to the fondant not crusting shouldn't be a problem. I don't know if you've tried it but maybe you could pop the iced cakes in the fridge? Maybe they'll at the very least get "hard" and you can carry on

dukeswalker Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 8:07am
post #4 of 5

I ended up rebaking - they were just. so. moist.  It was ridiculous!  They tasted phenomenal (as my scavenger family members attested to as they swooped over the rejected cakes).  I've made this recipe before but had never baked, wrapped & froze - I think the freezing sent it into moisture overkill. With this being for a wedding and with me actually giving myself ample time to make it - I opted to just rebake the whole thing.  

Oh well, just means I get the TV to myself. ;)

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 10:14am
post #5 of 5

AHaha awesome! Having TV to yourself definitely takes the sting out of it! Hope it works out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%