How Do I Deliver Cakes With Australian Stringwork?

Decorating By cakebloomers Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 11:05pm by cakebloomers

cakebloomers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebloomers Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 3

I admire the cakes with delicate stringwork, but have always stayed away from giving them a try because it seems like it would be impossible to transport without breakage. I really don't want to try doing this delicate work at the event site. Has anybody had experience with transporting these gorgeous works of art?

2 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 3

True Australian stringwork is done on a marzipan and fondant (or royal icing) covered fruit cake--an extremely sturdy base--using strong royal icing.  Transporting them isn't difficult, but requires a bit of extra care.  So, by nature, it's a technique that works well on dummy cakes.

It's a technique that is difficult to translate onto a soft cake with fillings, buttercream icing, etc.  Those types of cakes are sensitive to temperature changes, vibration, etc.

Maybe, with a very sturdy cake, very sturdy ganache icing, and well set fondant, it could work.....

Because I would expect breakage (and because no one would be willing to pay for the labor costs), I won't offer the technique for paid cakes.  I do less complicated drop string work or simplified Lambeth techniques, instead.

cakebloomers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebloomers Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you. Considering all the work involve, I do think a dummy cake is a good idea...with sheetcakes to serve. Wouldn't want to use a fruitcake...poundcake maybe, but trying to cut and serve a cake with Royal Icing is usually messy. I appreciate your insight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%