Wedding Cake Sizes And Options

Business By ericapraga Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 4:47pm by AZCouture

ericapraga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericapraga Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 5

I am starting to get into wedding cakes and I was wondering how you guys offer them. I have seen some places that have a set of standard sizes that the customer can order from so that they can get the closest in serving. For example- a 3 tier 12,10,8 or a 4 tier 14,12,10,8. And then have an array of designs that can start as a base design.

For my first cake, I charged by the serving and then additional cost for additional details. I then calculated the sizes of the cakes to get the closest to the number needed.

Would it be easier to offer a few standard sized wedding cakes that serve a certain number of people? Say a 3 tier that serves 100-150 and one that serves 150-180, and then a 4 tier that serves 150-180 and one that serves 180-225? Something like that? I could offer them in round or square and have the basic designs that could be used as is or built off of.

I am trying to do it in such a way that I do not have to buy every size pan, just some standards that I can mix and match.

Suggestions on how to make this easy for myself and my brides?

4 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 5

AWell, I'm the opposite I guess. I have nearly every pan size from odd to even, so that I can get pretty close to any serving request possible. But I also like to work outside the box with varying differences between sizes and shapes as well. I suppose there are others that only offer a certain variety, maybe they'll chime in.

AZCouture Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 5

AOh, and top tiers really look best as a 6" or smaller. 8 is pretty bulky. I generally have a 4 or a 5" top tier for all of mine. But 6 is pretty much the norm and accomodates most toppers, so I'm told.

ericapraga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericapraga Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 5

THe cake I am doing next week is 12,10,8,and 6. It seems like a pretty good size. I was just wondering how other people figured out their wedding cake offerings.

AZCouture Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 5

We figure it by asking how many servings they need, and consulting a chart which gives us the information about which pans to use. Here's one: http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm and I made my own based on all the pan sizes I have which include all the odd numbers as well, so I can usually suggest 2 or 3 different setups around the same serving amount, rather than having to pick just one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%