Urgent!!! Cakes Are In The Fridge....

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 4:05am by puddles_gal

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 5

AI have two fondant covered cakes in my fridge for my nephews birthdays. I don't normallly refridgerate my cakes, but one has a perishable filling, all i have for air conditioning is a window unit, and I live in Canada where our summers are hot and very humid, so I thought I would experiment. I'm due to deliver the cakes in 4.5 hours- do I leave them in the fridge until I leave, or do I take them out? If I take them out, do I leave them sitting on the counter, or put them in a box? I'm worried about condensation ruining the decorations, and i dont want my nephews' birthdays ruined!

4 replies
DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 5

I refrigerate my fondant cakes all the time.  I do keep them in a card board box and there is usually some airflow as they aren't sealed air tight.  I instruct my clients to let the cakes sit out for at least an hour.  I would keep it in the box for as long as possible as the cardboard is going to absorb the moisture as it comes to room temperature.  I would also let them come to temp in as cool as place as possible.  You can use a fan as well to help with any sweating.  The end result may depend on what type of fondant you use.  I don't use MMF but I've heard that there can be issues with it.  Good luck!

puddles_gal Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 5

AThank you! I've turned on my a/c and am going to let my dining room cool off for a bit first. Then I think I'm going to try and take one cake out of the fridge, put it in a box (no lid) and then put it in the dining room. Then wait and see what happens I guess!

vtanderson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtanderson Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 1:04am
post #4 of 5

How did it go?

puddles_gal Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 4:05am
post #5 of 5

AI put both cakes in a box, then set them in my dining room with the air conditioner on full blast. They didn't even sweat, but it wasn't super hot out today either, luckily. However, there must have been an air bubble somewhere, because when it was time to serve them, the fondant had cracked, but it was on the side so thankfully you couldn't see it. Not sure if I'm going to keep with the refrigeration method though- I don't have the room in my fridge! Lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%