Different Option For Store Fronts?

Business By Rachie204 Updated 8 Jul 2013 , 2:57am by jason_kraft

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:37am
post #1 of 6

I am curious about opinions on an idea I thought of but dont know how to explain it well..... 

Firstly my thoughts are that it probably would not work well, but then again my second thought is it would be different which might work well. 

Secondly this is simply a thought and by no means a business plan as I am currently happy with my licensed home set up. 

So locally people love to order last minute birthday cake/ specialty cake ordering.  This is one of the reasons I have switched to only wedding cakes.  Where I live there options are either walk in the grocery store and get an ugly sheet cake or try to get one of the busy cake shops to take on their last minute order. 

I wondered how a shop would do that offered birthday cakes that were tiered/nicley decorated but were sitting ready for the customer to walk in and pick. 

Basically the customer would benefit from not having to book/pay ahead of time and still have a quality cake.

The baker would in turn have freedom to decorate these cakes to their liking and feed their creative side. 

Ofcourse their would be hurdles like how many cakes and how long before they were no longer fresh....

Honestly just an Idea...not a plan.  Just curious if anyone already does something similar in their shops? 

5 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:43am
post #2 of 6

I don't have a set-up like that, but potentially you might be stuck with a lot of day-old cake if no one buys the cakes you make for a given day.  That sort of set-up involves quite a bit of prediction.  

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:51am
post #3 of 6

Hmm, yeah, I'm not sure that would work very well. We have a storefront, and currently we don't even have simple bakery cakes ready to go, because the demand is not enough and we would be throwing a ton away. I can imagine keeping larger tiered cakes would be even harder. 

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:04am
post #4 of 6

AYeah that was the hurdle I was sure would be biggest. Anyone else do anything different at their shops.....currently my quality and flavor set me apart from the majority of competition here and would never want to our that at risk

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:31am
post #5 of 6

AI think it would work if you were a very high traffic area and could.mass produce the cakes. Somewhere like Disney or carlos bakery.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:57am
post #6 of 6

AWe didn't have a storefront, but we did keep several basic single-tier round cakes in the freezer for short notice orders. You would still need an hour or two notice to thaw the cake, and you would be limited by freezer space (and recipes that can freeze well) but keeping frozen inventory is preferable to regularly throwing out premade cakes that don't sell.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%