Selling Cupcakes/cakes & Pies At Flea Market

Business By ChefMelYisrael Updated 24 Jul 2013 , 5:57pm by ChefMelYisrael

ChefMelYisrael Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefMelYisrael Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 15

Hello everyone,

presently I have graduated from Culinary School with a Certificate and I re-enrolled for my degree and will be graduating in 4 more months, at this time I am living with my parent and unemployed with a child ( I am a single father of 3, one at home). My kids and I have been living in with my parents (2 have moved out on their own) who have been helping out tremendously, thought I am unemployed I still have money coming in but not the amount that I wish to be bringing so I've decided to try with opening up my own little spot at the FLEA MARKET every Sunday to bring in some extra cash by selling my GOURMET CUPCAKES & CAKES.

I was so excited to do so, so I went down to get information on setting up a spot on the inside and all was sounding good until I was told that I can NOT sell cupcakes singularly, that they have to be sold in a BOX OF 6 or as a DOZEN and cakes I can only sell WHOLE and not in SLICES.

This totally threw me for a loop because I know to make the most money would be to sell them singularly which I was going to do at $3.00 PER CUPCAKE.

Now being that this has been thrown in my face Im feeling as though people WILL NOT BUY MY CUPCAKES because they are sold as 1/2 DOZEN or a DOZEN because being that the cupcakes singularly would be $3.00 PER CUPCAKE that would make a WHOLE DOZEN $36.00 and a 1/2 DOZEN $18.00 which Im feeling would turn customers noses away.

So I am thinking that I should also make my GOURMET CAKES but at a smaller size (6 inches) and charge a nice price. I think that this would bring in good money being that I am making smaller cakes which would be attracting to the female client (visually).

Oh Yea Im also Making GOURMET COOKIES as well.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS on what I should do to bring in MORE DOLLARS???

I NEED HELP

14 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 15

AWhat are the demographics of customers at the flea market? Most flea markets tend to attract customers at the low-end of the market who may not be willing to pay more than $1-2/cupcake.

You need to do some market research (as part of your business plan) to determine who in your area will pay reasonable prices for your products and how to reach them.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 15

Honestly, I go to the flea market for used books, used cookware, used toys, used movies, and used tools... Basically, I would be horrified to buy food from any of vendors there. Call me prejudiced, IDC, I won't eat at any of the booths, except the Amish jellies and packaged candies.

Plus, it is pretty dirty there, so unless they are packaged air tight, they are liable to get dirty.

And I know how hard it must be for you to not be financially secure... I was a single mother of 3 little ones and didn't know what the hell I was going to do after my divorce. I sold cakes out of my apartment, but I didn't know it was illegal. Now I have a commercial kitchen in my garage.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 15

AIs this a "flea market" or "farmers market"? Big difference

/ agree with Jason about flea markets. Typically, those clients are looking for a good deal/steal.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 15

I agree with previous posters. Flea markets are not a good place to sell baked goods. Where do you live?

ChefMelYisrael Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 12:41am
post #6 of 15

Well Jason

What I can tell u is that where I live is what is called an UPSCALE area of the Atlanta Metro Area which consist of Middle Class to Rich.

The flea market is set in the country suburban area of Henry County Ga. and it attracts a tremendous amount of customers on the weekend that it's hard to find a parking space. The Flea market is an inside mall and as well venders cover the whole outside. It is very popular and there are so many customers that come through that it can be a turn off to those who do not like crowds.

Let me put it to u like this > It's like walking through an Six Flags Amusement Park on a summers day >>>CROWDED/JAM PACKED.

Oh Yea >>> AND THANK U SOOOOOO MUCH FOR THE INFO I will put it to good use.

ChefMelYisrael Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 12:47am
post #7 of 15

Well Anna, I'll tell u this, my food has to be packaged, this Mall does not allow any opened food unless it comes from one of the restaurants that is within the mall and the other food(popcorn/candy apples) is sold outside.

Anyhow my stuff will be handled and packaged properly, I did not go to LE CORDON BLEU COLLEGE of CULINARY ARTS and become SERVESAFE CERTIFIED for nothing so I will be up on my Psssss & Q'sssss icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 12:50am
post #8 of 15

AThe number of people there doesn't really mean much, the only thing that matters is how many attendees are in your target market. A key indicator will be looking at the other tenants (especially vendors that have been there for a while) and what they sell.

Are you talking about Peachtree Peddlers? If so, based on the pictures alone it doesn't look very promising.

ChefMelYisrael Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 12:50am
post #9 of 15

MimiFix,

I live in Henry County Which is outside of Atlanta Ga. It's an Upscale neighborhood but I do know what u mean but I'm gonna give it a try, I mean I wont be the 1st to sell at a flea market. I know of some people who have sold baked goods at flea markets and have made some goooooooooood money doing so.

Aint Nothing To It But To Do It!!

ChefMelYisrael Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 12:53am
post #10 of 15

Yes Jason,

I'm looking at Peachtree Peddlers. But all I can do is give it a try and see where it goes from there. I need to search around and see if there are any Farmers Markets around this area that I can to do this at. Hmmmm?

Also Im going to go by there Sunday if it is not raining to see who's outside and who is inside just to check things out.

jason_kraft Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 2:53am
post #11 of 15

Ahttp://www.peachtreepeddlers.com/

This does not look like a place you will sell many cupcakes or cakes. Maybe basic items like cookies, breakfast pastries, and fruit pies, but your margin will be very thin. The vendor selling Italian Ices is a much better fit for this type of venue.

It's really easy to make "good money" anywhere if you are talking about gross income, what you want to shoot for is profitability.

If you're making your baked goods at home make sure you are compliant with the GA cottage food law as well: http://cottagefoods.org/laws/usa/georgia/

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 3:19am
post #12 of 15

Did you specify that your slices of cake and singular cupcakes would be properly packaged?  Maybe they were assuming you would be cutting slices directly from the cake and handing them out. 

You would definitely be able to sell your higher end product at farmer's markets. 

ChefMelYisrael Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 9:59pm
post #13 of 15

Ok from what everyone has expressed, I have finally come into the light of seeing that FLEA MARKETS are NOT the way to go and that I should do FARMERS MARKETS.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 11:46pm
post #14 of 15

Chef Mel, if your license allows, wholesaling to restaurants and delis is another sales avenue.

ChefMelYisrael Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 5:57pm
post #15 of 15

Hmmmm Did not think of that. I have a Cottage License and I don't know if that is available, Im gonna have to check into it.

THANKS A LOT! GOOD INFO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%