Has Anyone Tried Butter Cream Filling And Then A Layer Of Ganache Over Butter Cream Before Applying Fondant?

Decorating By beckybakes617 Updated 6 Mar 2015 , 8:07am by Chloezee

beckybakes617 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckybakes617 Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 15

I really want to use ganache as I rely on this to get my edges really sharp, however, the person I'm making the cake for requested butter cream, only problem is I absolutely hate working with butter cream, as have had no luck with it on my cakes which are covered in fondant.

Sooooo, I was wondering whether it's possible to fill cake with butter cream and then go round with a thin layer of ganache (white chocolate) to set up nice and firm for me to apply the fondant?

I have looked as SMBC but when watching tutorials it seems so soft to work with as opposed to ganache. So anybody tried this method :)

14 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 15

You can, try to roll your fondant as thin as possible. Here's a thread that talks about buttercream under ganache.

http://cakecentral.com/t/689296/ganache-over-buttercream

HTH

icon_smile.gif

beckybakes617 Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 15

Thank you for the link, doesn't seem like many people have attempted ganache over butter cream though, I don't know why as it make sense and would be cheaper :S

sixinarow Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 15

I skip the buttercream and just use ganache when I can. All 3 layers (buttercream+ganache+fondant)make a really heavy (and super rich) cake! Humidity where I live is really high and I get nervous about buttercream under ganache, afraid it will slide!! But, I like the richness, and my kids do too, so I use the 2 in combination a lot for cakes I make for us!

beckybakes617 Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 15

I thought if I used butter cream and went over the top with ganache it would set so humidity wouldn't be a problem, or is that where I'm being a bit naive :) 

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 15

A

Original message sent by beckybakes617

I really want to use ganache as I rely on this to get my edges really sharp, however, the person I'm making the cake for requested butter cream, only problem is I absolutely hate working with butter cream, as have had no luck with it on my cakes which are covered in fondant.

Sooooo, I was wondering whether it's possible to fill cake with butter cream and then go round with a thin layer of ganache (white chocolate) to set up nice and firm for me to apply the fondant?

I have looked as SMBC but when watching tutorials it seems so soft to work with as opposed to ganache. So anybody tried this method :)

Any buttercream made of real butter will harden up once cold, including SMBC. SMBC as a filling, then ganache as crumb coat will work. I do it all the time.

sixinarow Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybakes617 

I thought if I used butter cream and went over the top with ganache it would set so humidity wouldn't be a problem, or is that where I'm being a bit naive :) 

I'm just a big chicken... I  had the buttercream and ganache peel away from the side of a cake once. It was probably my error with choosing the wrong buttercream recipe, and it was CRAZY humid, but I'm scared to death of it happening again!! That's why I skip the buttercream and just use ganache to crumb coat. Still get the crisp edges and I don't worry about it peeling off! icon_razz.gif

beckybakes617 Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 15

When I've used BC before I just used unsalted butter and Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar, I take it this is not the SMBC as this uses egg whites? 

beckybakes617 Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 15

Oh no, this will most probably happen to me too! :P 

Maybe I could just fill it with butter cream, instead of going around the whole cake, freeze it and then add white chocolate ganache, hopefully with no peeling effect!

sixinarow Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:

When I've used BC before I just used unsalted butter and Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar, I take it this is not the SMBC as this uses egg whites? 

I use meringue powder in my American Buttercream recipe and in the summer, if I cover a cake in buttercream, I use a recipe that is half high-ratio shortening and half butter. It holds up SO much better to heat and humidity!

sixinarow Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:

Oh no, this will most probably happen to me too! :P 

Maybe I could just fill it with butter cream, instead of going around the whole cake, freeze it and then add white chocolate ganache, hopefully with no peeling effect!

I use a really stiff buttercream dam, then you can fill it with whatever you want!  Here's a link to a video tutorial by Inspired by Michelle, about using ganache as a crumb coat. I love her technique and have had great results with it. She is in Australia (hot and humid) most cake decorators there use ganache instead of buttercream under fondant. It's a 3 part series, the link I'm sending you is part 2.

beckybakes617 Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:54pm
post #12 of 15

Do you have the recipe for the butter cream you use at all? :) I'm just trying to work out whether I'm on the same wave length as you, because I'm from the UK and different terms and all icon_smile.gif I'm thinking your recipe you use may be the SMBC I'm thinking of.

sixinarow Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:55pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:

Do you have the recipe for the butter cream you use at all? :) I'm just trying to work out whether I'm on the same wave length as you, because I'm from the UK and different terms and all icon_smile.gif I'm thinking your recipe you use may be the SMBC I'm thinking of.

Sure, pm me and I'll share it with you!

beckybakes617 Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:58pm
post #14 of 15

Thank you

Chloezee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloezee Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 8:07am
post #15 of 15

I have now totally found that brides and others do NOT like that hard outer shell especially if it is so thick and even especially if it's used as a filling as well. My family no longer wants it at all. BUT I do feel that it protects a cake so I am trying to find a way to just put the thinnest possible layer over the cake and that OVER my buttercream. I reckon if I use a thick acetate and cellotape it all around with room to spar just pour it in (also will then save all that awful time to get it perfectly smooth - whipped ganache with butter in is perfect for inside a cake but this very hard ganache looks nice but is not a hit with brides. Takes me a full morning to upside down it and scrape and scrape and warm up again and scrape. There HAS to be a better way!!!!! ANY other very good chocolate visionaries out there?  My son said to get a thin steel ring to fit around each tear and then pour in because it will come off so easily with a warm cloth then, but that's a huge cost to have those made for every tier size and then to let of the same steel a flat ring made that would drop down on the lot and voila you have a smooth top as well???? what say ye? It's just that they all say that soft delicious cake is chewed away on hard chocolate. SAWWWRY!!! to all the ganache officionado's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%