Buttercream Not Right...

Baking By chocaholikk Updated 6 Jul 2013 , 9:31am by chocaholikk

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 11:20am
post #1 of 9

AHi everyone. I have been using lurpack unsalted butter and silver spoon icing sugar to make my buttercream and ive mixed it tor ages but it still has a grainy texture. I dont know what im doing wrong...help?! Any help will be appreciated

Thank you

8 replies
cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 9

AHi,are you sifting your icing sugar beforehand?

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 9

ATry adding some liquid for example water or milk and beat it on a high speed, also add your icing sugar bit by bit to the butter making sure its mixed in properly before you add more. Hopw that helps :-)

chocaholikk Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 9

AHi. Yes I add milk to it and I sift it too. I will definately try adding sugar bit by bit xxx

Thankssss

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 9

Also try beating at higher speed and for longer. I generally dump all my icing sugar in in one go, start on low speed - with a very damp-but-not-dripping tea towel over the mixer and tucked around the bowl including behind it, to stop the icing sugar flying out the bowl - and then increase speed. I usually beat on medium speed for around 5 minutes once all the ingredients are mixed together.

chocaholikk Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 9

AThanks I beat mine for ages...im talkin 20 mins plus!! Still tastes grainy...which icing sugar brand is best??

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 9

AHi are you using an electric mixer? Also I'm assuming you're from the UK? I am too if so then I use the Tesco brand butter ( gold packet ) and use whitworths icing sugar- it tastes brilliant!! I hate silver spoon tastes to ' fake ' lol! Let us know how you get on.

LoveonCloudCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveonCloudCupcake Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 4:39am
post #8 of 9

AI don't sift my sugar beforehand. The kind I buy there is no need to. I cream my butter first until light, and add the sugar one cup at a time. Milk or cream will also help mix it great.

chocaholikk Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 9:31am
post #9 of 9

AThanks hun x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%