Popcorn Salt Question

Baking By Evoir Updated 5 Jul 2013 , 12:53am by bct806

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 4:32am
post #1 of 7

In Australia you can buy popcorn salt, but its butter flavoured. In the USA, what do YOU guys call popcorn salt? Is it just a really finely ground powdered salt? Or does it have additional flavouring added?

Thanks in advance.

6 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 5:42am
post #2 of 7

Here it is just super fine salt. No flavorings to speak of. Have you used the butter flavored?

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 6:34am
post #3 of 7

ANot in my icings or butter creams. Just my popcorn!

Thank you for clarifying, though. I can always use my mortar and pestle to make a powdered salt if need be for my buttercream.

bct806 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 6:49am
post #4 of 7

You're welcome. Unless you were going for popcorn flavor I guess it wouldn't be the right thing to add. Always curious to try things like that though. 

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 7

if you can't get the unflavored popcorn salt, you can take regular salt and put it in a food processor or mortar and pestle to grind it superfine.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 7

Or just dissolve it in whatever liquid you use.  If I don't have popcorn salt, I'll just use regular table salt and add it to my butter while it's creaming.

bct806 Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 12:53am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

Or just dissolve it in whatever liquid you use.  If I don't have popcorn salt, I'll just use regular table salt and add it to my butter while it's creaming.

Great idea! Never even thought of that even though it is fairly obvious. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%