Marvelous Molds Onlays ??

Decorating By sixinarow Updated 27 Aug 2013 , 5:22pm by MBalaska

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 27

Has anyone tried the new onlay molds? I'm reaaaally interested in the Moroccan lattice, but am wondering if anyone has used them and liked them?

26 replies
lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 27

I saw these too and am very interested as well. $30 each is too much for me right now though. I wish they were cheaper. ****sigh****

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 27

I just got mine in the mail yesterday and am making a wedding cake this weekend- I'll post how they worked out!

sixinarow Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie93095 

I just got mine in the mail yesterday and am making a wedding cake this weekend- I'll post how they worked out!

Please do!! Which ones did you get??

KarenK55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenK55 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 27

I also saw the video, it looks awesome.  Can't wait to try these new onlay molds.  Please post your pics when and your opinion on the use of these molds as stated earlier by sixinarow. 

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 27

I got the diamond cut, triple drop string , overlapping drop string and the double wedding ring. Can't wait to play with them!

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 27

AI got mine last week and LOVE them. Just follow the directions on the video and you will have no problem .i used the string drop ribbon one on my last cake ( it's the baseball wedding themed cake)and it was so simple. I don't do math and with these you don't have to! Wish I had stock in them! I will eventually get them all.

sixinarow Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanDunlevy 

I got mine last week and LOVE them. Just follow the directions on the video and you will have no problem .i used the string drop ribbon one on my last cake ( it's the baseball wedding themed cake)and it was so simple. I don't do math and with these you don't have to! Wish I had stock in them! I will eventually get them all.

*squeals* Yippee!! I really want to try the moroccan lattice and the damask but didn't want to waste the $ if they didn't work!!

KarenK55 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 27

jANdUNLEY do you have any pics of your finished product using the onlays...would love to see it. 

JanDunlevy Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 27

AI am on my iPad right now and can't get this site to import my pic. It is in my gallery and it is the baseball themed wedding cake. I used the mold on the top tier and it is the drop string mold.

KarenK55 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 5:05pm
post #11 of 27

Just tried looking and I did not see it.  Your other cakes are awesome. Am I missing something? Is your wedding cake picture on in photo albums on CC?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenK55 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 6:05pm
post #13 of 27

Love it-JanDonley.  Thank you shanter.  

JanDunlevy Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 1:17am
post #14 of 27

Thank you shanter! I have the worst time with this site and the changes. I can't get anything to post and I can't comment on anyone's photos when I am on my Ipad. Finally home on my desktop now. Hope all of you that are thinking about purchasing these molds love them as much as I do!

GAILEMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GAILEMI Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 7:36pm
post #15 of 27

My friend has done the Moroccan pattern & loved it - She used it on buttercream - it was kind of messy but the molds performed really well

sixinarow Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 10:22pm
post #16 of 27

Updating this post...I bought the damask and moroccan lattice onlays. They shipped me the wrong order, so I only have the damask right now. I'm having some problems getting all the little "extra" pieces out of the mold before applying it to the cake. Any tips??

JanDunlevy Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 1:53am
post #17 of 27

AI use a weeding tool but a hat pin, Dresden tool or anything with a slight point works. Just be cautious to not puncture your mold.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:02am
post #18 of 27

In addition to what JanDunlevy said, try dampening your fondant a little more with whatever adhesive you're using. I may be one of the few people who aren't in love with the onlays. I don't hate them, just don't love them and had trouble with them. Unless I had a customer who wanted a very specific pattern, I wouldn't buy any just to have in my tool chest.

sixinarow Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 4:55pm
post #19 of 27

I think I may have added too much tylose to my fondant..and maybe had it a little too thick. After playing around with it last night, here's what I ended up with. :) I did the top layer last, it definitely looks better than the bottom!! Glad it's not for a client or the bottom would need to be re-done!

KarenK55 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:54pm
post #20 of 27

Have not purchased the "Marvelous Mold Onlays" , but I was wondering could you use a little cornstarch so that the fondant doesn't stick to the mold to assist you in getting the design you want....out?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 9:45pm
post #21 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixinarow 

I think I may have added too much tylose to my fondant..and maybe had it a little too thick. After playing around with it last night, here's what I ended up with. :) I did the top layer last, it definitely looks better than the bottom!! Glad it's not for a client or the bottom would need to be re-done!

sixinarow:  OMG  that is as beautiful as the highly stenciled cakes.  Had to look on the internet.

http://marvelousmolds.com/onlays/moroccan-lattice    It is elegant, the red flowers POP, beautiful.

sixinarow Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 9:59pm
post #22 of 27

AThank you! I love how the mirrored design turned out, hopefully I'll get to repeat it on a client cake in the future! ;) I'm excited to get the lattice, creative juices are flowing right now!

JanDunlevy Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 8:23am
post #23 of 27

AThat is gorgeous! Love the contrast of the black, white and red and the way you used it. Great job with the molds.

MBalaska Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 3:46am
post #24 of 27

What will they think of next?  This mold for a  gumpaste TIARA is amazing, just watched the tutorial video.

I've never used gumpaste. I can see that there's a whole world out there to explore.

http://marvelousmolds.com/silicone-molds/mini-majestic

confectionatecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionatecakes Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 3:29pm
post #25 of 27

I was wondering how many people who have the onlays have tried them on buttercream.  I have a client who wants the chevron pattern, but not a fondant base.  Thoughts?  Maybe if it's real cold, it won't stick?

xirxa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xirxa Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 4:41pm
post #26 of 27

where I can see those molds?

MBalaska Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 5:22pm
post #27 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 
What will they think of next?  This mold for a  gumpaste TIARA is amazing, just watched the tutorial video.

I've never used gumpaste. I can see that there's a whole world out there to explore.

http://marvelousmolds.com/silicone-molds/mini-majestic

marvelous molds

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%