Fondant Recipe

Baking By BakingMum Updated 4 Jul 2013 , 10:44pm by AlyT

BakingMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingMum Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering why some marshmellow fondant recipes using shortening, some don't? Can some share a good marshmellow fondant recipe please. I made some the other day, it was a disaster, quiet a sticky mess. Im going to try again soon.

Thanks in advance

6 replies
jennalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennalee Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 7

AI also would like a good recipe for this. I am trying for the first time either today or tomorrow at making my own fondant.

AlyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlyT Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 7

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3047001/width/200/height/400[/IMG] cant remember the websight but this one works well for me. Its a screen shot sorry. Good luck

AlyT Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 7

AOk sorry i will write it out as you cant really read it. 16oz of good brand mini marshmallows 2-5tbsp of water 2lbs icing sugar 1/2 a cup of crisco or any brand shortening

Put the marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl or double broiler. For microwave put it in for about 30second at a time taking it out and stirring usually takes me about 2 minutes. Put 3/4 of the icing sugar in the bowl folig it in. When it gets stiff enough to mix with your hands coat the counter top and your hands up to your wrists with crisco or shortening and begin to kneed adding icing sugar until its tacky but not dry or too sticky where it sticks to your hands anymore. Kneeding until smooth

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 7

If you use off brands, your fondant will not be pure white but a bit off.  If this doesn't matter, no worries.  I used to use the cheapest marshmallows, shortening, and powdered (icing) sugar.  One time I tried it with the name brands and my fondant was pure white.  It was also more elastic.  For the off brands, I always have to use about a tablespoon of corn syrup to keep it more elastic. 

Also if you let it sit overnight and then knead again, the texture is smoother as it breaks down the sugar better.  Do make sure you coat your fondant well with shortening, then double wrap in plastic wrap and then put in a re-closeable baggie. 

I only use Crisco shortening as the off brands are NOT as white.

BakingMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingMum Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 9:33am
post #6 of 7

AHi all, thanks for the tip. My MMF worked! I used cake mixer with dough hook to mix instead of by hand. Less work less mess except for kneading. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3047562/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

AlyT Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 7

AGlad it worked out for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%