Urgent! Probably An Impossible Task? Letters Made Of Cake

Decorating By sugarjen29 Updated 10 Jul 2013 , 10:23pm by jennicake

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 12:29am
post #31 of 47

AWhat if te letters were made in a font with no empty space? Bubble font: http://www.fontriver.com/font/el_and_font_bubble/

Not exactly elegant, but perhaps a simpler starting point. Like the barn idea above.

Sassyzan Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 12:32am
post #33 of 47

AGoogle "bubbly" font

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 1:10am
post #34 of 47

So you are looking at 12 characters there. How many guests are being required to be fed with the cake?

Assuming the letters are at least 14" tall, you should get about 20-30 dessert portions from each letter/symbol.

So 240-360 portions of cake. That is a hella lotta cake.

What is their cake budget?

I could do it, but I would not take any other jobs for the two weeks before the cake is due. My method would include using dowels glued or threaded rods and nuts sited into 12 separate base boards, with platforms every 4" to support cake (probably using threaded rods to get the placement spot on. I would use custom light acrylic full-sized letters as my templates for carving.

I would use mud cake, and firm ganache, and for a COVERING: instead of fondant I would be hiring or buying a chocolate airbrush/compressor system. The letters would end up white, but they would have that slightly dappled look that airbrushed choc develops.

To make this cake I would be charging between $2600 - $2800 (hiring not buying the choc airbrush)

I would not even try covering with fondant or buttercream.

I hope this helps :-)

Sassyzan Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 1:26am
post #35 of 47

A

Original message sent by Evoir

So you are looking at 12 characters there. How many guests are being required to be fed with the cake?

Assuming the letters are at least 14" tall, you should get about 20-30 dessert portions from each letter/symbol. So 240-360 portions of cake. That is a hella lotta cake.

What is their cake budget?

I could do it, but I would not take any other jobs for the two weeks before the cake is due. My method would include using dowels glued or threaded rods and nuts sited into 12 separate base boards, with platforms every 4" to support cake (probably using threaded rods to get the placement spot on. I would use custom light acrylic full-sized letters as my templates for carving.

I would use mud cake, and firm ganache, and for a COVERING: instead of fondant I would be hiring or buying a chocolate airbrush/compressor system. The letters would end up white, but they would have that slightly dappled look that airbrushed choc develops.

To make this cake I would be charging between $2600 - $2800 (hiring not buying the choc airbrush)

I would not even try covering with fondant or buttercream.

I hope this helps :-)

And I would totally watch the video on YouTube!!!! :)

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 2:03am
post #36 of 47

A

Original message sent by callierogers

This is what I was saying earlier...but you worded it so much more simply than I did, LOL... I'm glad someone else thinks like I do :-)

Lol callierogers especially when I write ck board for cake board!!! I think u said it better!

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 5:41pm
post #37 of 47

ACoould you just make a larhe rectangle cake with a slight slant on the front end and after crumb coating write the names with a fondant rope. And then cober in fondant so it would be like the name is on the cake?

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 6:12pm
post #38 of 47

Publicity goes both ways, good or bad. 

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 8:57pm
post #39 of 47

A

Original message sent by annabananana

I think this is a stupid idea.

LOL ...annabanana...you and I are definitely in the minority here...but I'd say we're both right!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 9:25pm
post #40 of 47

A

Original message sent by carmijok

[quote name="annabananana" url="/t/760436/urgent-probably-an-impossible-task-letters-made-of-cake/15#post_7412288"]I think this is a stupid idea.

LOL ...annabanana...you and I are definitely in the minority here...but I'd say we're both right![/quote]

Hey! I think it's a stupid idea too! I was just trying to be PC with my comment. Ugly, stupid, and pointless. And WAY TOO MUCH WORK!

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 5:40am
post #41 of 47

Ahttp://paintedacrescakes.blogspot.com/2011/09/creating-3d-letter-cake.html?m=1

http://threadcakes.com/entries/view/36

I remembered seeing these tutorials, if you could do something like the thread cakes version it wouldn't be quite as ridiculous-maybe one tier with Mr & Mrs, and their name on the bottom depending on the amount of servings. I just can't imagine doing it letter by letter, it would be beautiful but in order to get paid what it would be worth, whew, the bride can't begin to imagine how difficult this will be!

Maybe you could talk her into something styrofoam or RKT (I know you said she didn't want that but maybe after more explanation) and possibly make the first letter of their last name in cake (for cutting) then using sheet cakes/kitchen cakes for serving. Hopefully the links will help, curious to see what you guys end up doing! Good luck!

callierogers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
callierogers Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 4:01pm
post #42 of 47

A

Original message sent by annabananana

Ok... I understand that some people might think this is a stupid idea. If so, please either keep it to yourself, or give an alternate idea, or some way to help with this cake. This forum is supposed to be about helping each other, not giving your own snarky opinion about other people's ideas. The fact remains that her customers want this cake and, as she said, if she can pull this off it will be good for her business. And what's the harm in trying new things?! Sugarjen29, I wish you luck with your endeavor... I really hope you can pull it off!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 4:54pm
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by callierogers 

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabananana 

Ok... I understand that some people might think this is a stupid idea. If so, please either keep it to yourself, or give an alternate idea, or some way to help with this cake. This forum is supposed to be about helping each other, not giving your own snarky opinion about other people's ideas. The fact remains that her customers want this cake and, as she said, if she can pull this off it will be good for her business. And what's the harm in trying new things?! Sugarjen29, I wish you luck with your endeavor... I really hope you can pull it off!

How do you know what the forum is about? It is a forum, the point is for everyone to share, and others have said it is a stupid idea as well, why are you singling out one person? I think it is a dumb idea, as well, and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Sometimes that is precisely what someone needs to hear to snap them back to reality. And I don't see it as snarky, it is reality, and her opinion. That is still allowed. And Sugarjen29 hasn't even updated to say what she quoted, or if they accepted it, or if she even wants to do it, or thinks she can do it, so wishing her luck with it is a bit premature.

callierogers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
callierogers Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 6:56pm
post #44 of 47

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

How do you know what the forum is about? It is a forum, the point is for everyone to share, and others have said it is a stupid idea as well, why are you singling out one person? I think it is a dumb idea, as well, and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Sometimes that is precisely what someone needs to hear to snap them back to reality. And I don't see it as snarky, it is reality, and her opinion. That is still allowed. And Sugarjen29 hasn't even updated to say what she quoted, or if they accepted it, or if she even wants to do it, or thinks she can do it, so wishing her luck with it is a bit premature.

Pardon me. Annabananana's post was the most recent negative comment. I did not mean to single her out specifically. Annabananana, I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. And annabakescakes, I'm sorry if I hurt you in any way. I just get tired of reading comments where someone is no help...and it's not just on this site. However, I also realize that jumping on someone doesn't help. So... I'm sorry. I don't, however, think it was wrong to wish her good luck, but perhaps I should have simply said, "I wish you luck with your decision."

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 11:03pm
post #45 of 47

In my opinion saying that it's a stupid idea is not entirely unhelpful. Sometimes customers need to be shown the light and unless this customer wants to shell out a lot of money for a difficult cake when they could have something that may be a showstopper for the same price, they need to have this explained. Likely the customer thinks she's asking for something simple.

mclar133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclar133 Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 7:18am
post #46 of 47

AI am by no means a cake decorator but I think I would make cupcakes and skewer them onto Styrofoam block letters like the cupcake bouquets or possibly get an acrylic sheet and an acrylic shelves attached and frost those letters on till they stuck.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 10:23pm
post #47 of 47

I dont know if this is too late, but have you seen this pan?  Might solve your problem!

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001KOTUJC/?tag=cakecentral-20+pan 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%