Blackberry Filling??

Baking By newbe86 Updated 30 Jun 2013 , 10:00pm by yortma

newbe86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbe86 Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have a recipe for a blackberry filling? I am going to be making my first layer cake with filling (super nervous) and am thinking about a lemon cake with blackberry filling and a buttercream frosting.  Any ideas?

4 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 5

AI seem to recall that Dede Wilson has a recipe for blackberry something in her wedding cake book.

bsy bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsy bug Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 5

What a coinsidence, I just made a lemon cake with homemade blackberry curd filling this morning.  I'm getting ready to frost and decorate it now.  I think the combination will be fantastic.  I sure hope so, anyway.  Good luck.

bsy bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsy bug Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 5

Oops, forgot the recipe.  Here you are.

Blackberry Curd Filling

1 quart fresh blackberries

¼ c water

2 tblsp flour

½ c sugar

2 eggs

1 egg yolk

2 tblsp unsalted butter

Bring blackberries and water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan.  Turn down the heat to low and simmer until the berries are soft and separate easily, about 5-7 minutes.  Transfer the mixture to a sieve and pass through using a spoon to help mash the berries.  Discard the pulp and reserve the juice.  Place the flour and sugar in a clean saucepan and slowly pour in the juice.  Whisk constantly.  When thoroughly combined, add the whole eggs and egg yolk, whisking and cooking until the mixture thickens.   When the curd has formed, after about 7 minutes, remove from the heat and stir in butter.  Cover tightly and place in the refrigerator until fully chilled.

Good luck.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 5

I have used the raspberry recipe below (the cake boss link)  with blackberries and it is excellent. (It is THE BEST filling for raspberry BTW).  I also found the blackberry recipe below, from country living and it looks amazing.  (I love liqueurs).  If I had some blackberries I would try it right now!  For berries, I tend to like the pure fruit recipes rather than the curds to get the most flavor.  HTH!

http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/blackberry-cassis-jam-3038

http://www.cakeboss.com/raspberryfilling.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%