Pricing?

Business By odell319 Updated 9 Jun 2014 , 3:22pm by momo4s

odell319 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odell319 Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 48

ADo you charge less if your a home baker?

47 replies
keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 48

NO, why would you? That's the problem with some new home bakers. I have been there and learned the hard way. Don't undersell yourself, your time is worth more than you think. Not to mention, when you undersell yourself, your undercutting a cake artist, bakery or decorator in your area that has worked hard to get established. I realized long ago that selling my cakes cheap was a disservice to them and myself. Since I was not selling cakes for a living, I was taking from someone who depended on that money to support a family or their business. Now I have my pricing where it should be and I'm not always the cheapest choice but my time is worth it. Either they will use me or they won't but I will feel good about my price the next day. HTH

P.S. Search for the jason_kraft profile. IMO he's like the pricing guru/rock star. In his signature line on his profile page (scroll to the bottom of the page) there is a link with pricing information. Also, CakeBoss software is a wonderful tool for pricing for the home baker. You will still need to do some research for your local salary for your skill level, input your local ingredient cost and there's a small learning curve. However, it's a start. Not to mention the legal side. But that's a different question. GL

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 48

A^^ This. ^^

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 48

No. In fact my prices are slightly higher.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 48

ACheck out the Pricing Formula link in my signature below.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 1:46am
post #6 of 48

ADo you still have to pay for the property your bakery is based from? Do you still have to pay for gas/electric to bake your cakes? Insure yourself and your property? Buy equipment and ingredients? Those costs don't go away because your location happens to be a home rather than a store.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 3:47am
post #7 of 48

Another difference is that a larger bakery can get bulk pricing, a small home baker doesn't.  A larger bakery also can be more efficient, making large batches of icing, batter, larger ovens, etc so that they can be more efficient than a smaller baker.  So a small baker will likely have greater expenses in some categories.

madaboutsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madaboutsweets Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 3:51am
post #8 of 48

AI hate that I'm so bad at pricing and feel bad for overpricing even though it cost me lots

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 3:58am
post #9 of 48

A

Original message sent by madaboutsweets

....and feel bad for overpricing even though it cost me lots

said no one ever.

AZCouture Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 4:00am
post #10 of 48

AWhat gives you the.impression that you're overcharging? I mean, if you're pumping out star tip sheetcakes on aluminum foil covered boards at Sylvia Weinstock prices, then ok,but really, why do you think you're over charging? (I have no idea what kind of work you do, my example was pulled out of thin air)

madaboutsweets Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 4:05am
post #11 of 48

AI do lots of fondant I. Ok I guess cakes are normally a couple of tiers filled [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3044841/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

madaboutsweets Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 4:06am
post #12 of 48

AThat's one I did and have to redo for a client with another ill show you

AZCouture Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 4:11am
post #14 of 48

ANice work, but let's hear about why you think you're over charging. That's really probably not true. :-)

madaboutsweets Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 4:13am
post #15 of 48

AOk when it's family and friends is ay ok buy me the ingredients and ill do the rest..... Those two pics I'm charging for both 350-400

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 3:27pm
post #16 of 48

I'm not that great at pricing as of yet (no business yet...haven't had a chance to even work out a pricing sheet...working on research now) but I really don't think you are charging too much...as long as you are following Jason's formula, I think you should be fine. Do NOT ever think that you are not worth being paid for your beautiful work!

tina0719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tina0719 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 3:58pm
post #17 of 48

AI usually call local bakeries to see what they are charging just to get an idea. I am home based so I charge just a little less than the bakery would.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 4:37pm
post #18 of 48

A

Original message sent by tina0719

I usually call local bakeries to see what they are charging just to get an idea. I am home based so I charge just a little less than the bakery would.

Why?

tina0719 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 4:44pm
post #19 of 48

ATo see if I'm charging too little for a cake.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 4:49pm
post #21 of 48

A

To see if I'm charging too little for a cake.

I think the question was why you charge less than a retail bakery just because you're based at home. If you find out what the market value is and then price yourself below that, you are charging too little for cake.

tina0719 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 5:04pm
post #22 of 48

AI get my supplies dirt cheap and buy in bulk. I know someone who owns a cake supply store. I have no employees to pay nor do I pay the electricity. So even if I charge $20 to get the customer it wont hurt me.

tina0719 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 5:04pm
post #23 of 48

AI meant $20 less

tina0719 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 5:06pm
post #24 of 48

AI just found I get more business that's why I do it.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 5:08pm
post #25 of 48

Urg..............

jason_kraft Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 5:10pm
post #26 of 48

A

I get my supplies dirt cheap and buy in bulk. I know someone who owns a cake supply store. I have no employees to pay nor do I pay the electricity. So even if I charge $20 to get the customer it wont hurt me.

It actually is hurting you (and the entire market) by lowering the perceived value of the product among your customers. Check out the "Pricing, Market Value, and Economic Damage" article in my signature below for more info.

tina0719 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 5:11pm
post #27 of 48

AOk thanks I'll check it out.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 5:59pm
post #28 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by tina0719 

I get my supplies dirt cheap and buy in bulk. I know someone who owns a cake supply store. I have no employees to pay nor do I pay the electricity. So even if I charge $20 to get the customer it wont hurt me.

Are you charging at least minimum wage for your time?

tina0719 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 6:52pm
post #29 of 48

AI charge $5.00 per person plus the design price. I dont do any cakes less than 30 people.

tina0719 Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 6:53pm
post #30 of 48

ADesign price would usually start about $80

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%