At Home Bakers- Do You Do Cake Testing?

Business By ericaaiden Updated 18 Dec 2014 , 5:28pm by zirarzirar

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 12:56pm
post #61 of 84

Anna, is that a craftsman tool chest painted blue?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 3:23pm
post #62 of 84

Anna, your room is fantastic! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:19pm
post #63 of 84

AAre all of those things on the shelf dummy cakes?

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:20pm
post #64 of 84

AAlso what's a plateau?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:35pm
post #65 of 84

A

Original message sent by sixinarow

Anna, is that a craftsman tool chest painted blue?

it is, the ugly black looked like an eyesore and sucked the light out of the room :-) if you look under my 3 bowl sink you'll see I painted the ugly plumbing, too ;-)

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:38pm
post #66 of 84

AAnna, I am in an agony of jealousy here! Love, love, love your setup!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 12:28am
post #67 of 84

Resurrecting an older thread here, just to mention something new that I tried...as I posted earlier I usually hold my consults in a public place. The reason is two-fold--hesitant to bring strangers into my home & my HOA doesn't allow "traffic" due to a home-based business (whole other topic, there). Starbucks and Panera were OK, but I didn't give them their cake tasting box until it was time to go because I didn't want them to eat my stuff in a restaurant; that's just wrong plus it opens me up to the risk of getting kicked out icon_wink.gif.

OTOH, my experience is that the consults go better and I have a higher booking rate when the potential customer tries the samples during the meeting. So, I met a wedding couple today at the Food Court at a mall! It was perfect! I bought drinks from one of the food vendors, set up at a table, they had a little picnic of cake and buttercream while we had the meeting. It was mid-afternoon so no lunch rush. No one cared that they ate cake. They loved my cake samples and my work, I love the cake they want and their venue.

I think the ONLY reason I didn't seal the deal on the spot was that they decided they want square cakes and I couldn't do a quote on the spot.

I'm making some other changes, too, but that's a different beast...

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 1:54am
post #68 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elcee 

I also do consultations. Consultations for cakes of 100 servings or more (regardless of the occasion) include a complimentary tasting-to-go box. The box contains 3 flavors of cake and 3 flavors of buttercream, all my choice, depending on what I have on hand. For cakes of fewer than 100 servings, a box may be purchased for $25.

For some reason, I haven't been able to upload pictures into posts...here's a link to a picture of one of my boxes:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=497737583624608&set=a.377050832359951.90561.368152219916479&type=3&theater

Elcee: very nice packagings & sounds like good business advice also.

CakesMArt by MA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesMArt by MA Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:15pm
post #69 of 84

Interesting post...

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:59pm
post #70 of 84

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Some of the photos are taken at different times and strategically to hide the mess, so I know it doesn't really show how things are truly set up. One of these days, when I have a couple thousand to invest, I'll fly Laney up to help me drag it all out and find a place for it... I even have 2 really nice label makers and we'll make a trip to the Container Store in Cincinnati ;-) and we'll take some great pictures then!!!

I just squealed with delight. Feeling lighted from the excitement of just thinking about it.

Victorry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Victorry Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 9:54pm
post #71 of 84

AI'm often telling - you can buy a small cake and test. Not far I made the proposal, if there are more than 4 people wants to test cake, i can make 4 different cakes, cut it on 4 parts, and they buy one cake with 4 different parts. It's a very interesting idea, but anyone was interested in it. So i'm still telling "no" on answer about testing.

Victorry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Victorry Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 10:01pm
post #72 of 84

AAnna, i LOVE your garage! :) I'm working at a small kitchen, so dream about bigger place. You had so good organise the aria, congratulations!

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 10:46pm
post #73 of 84

I'm not an at home baker, I work in a restaurant.  I offer 8 flavor combos for weddings.  My cakes are four layers of cake and three of the fillings.  But, my tasters are just three layers of cake.  

I bake the cake in a half sheet pan, and cut it into 3 strips lengthwise.  I then layer the cake with the fillings and frost them.  After they are chilled, I wrap them well and freeze them.

When we get an order for a tasting, which is a choice of three, I remove them from the freezer and cut a slice.  They thaw in the fridge, then I let them sit at room temp for about 1/2 hour prior to the appointment.  Works great, and no one knows it's been frozen. 

I've worked a couple of places that make rounds and freeze them, but I prefer the long strip.  I get more servings that are easier to cut. And, we have sold more wedding cakes since I offered the tasting option.  You can charge for it as well.  The place I work is overpriced, so we charge $25 for it, and it doesn't seem to be an issue.  I suggested putting that toward the cake deposit, but they can get away with not doing that.  One bakery I worked only charged $10. So, it is an option.  I've had a couple of people ask about tasting another type of filling with a cake, and I just tell them I can make a cupcake with that particular filling or buttercream, and they are OK with that.  

This is what my tasting looks like:

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 11:10pm
post #74 of 84

OMIGOODNESS...I want to get married just so I can do one of your tastings. They look so good.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 11:32pm
post #75 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by rychevamp 

I'm not an at home baker, I work in a restaurant.  I offer 8 flavor combos for weddings.  My cakes are four layers of cake and three of the fillings.  But, my tasters are just three layers of cake.  

I bake the cake in a half sheet pan, and cut it into 3 strips lengthwise.  I then layer the cake with the fillings and frost them.  After they are chilled, I wrap them well and freeze them.

When we get an order for a tasting, which is a choice of three, I remove them from the freezer and cut a slice.  They thaw in the fridge, then I let them sit at room temp for about 1/2 hour prior to the appointment.  Works great, and no one knows it's been frozen. 

I've worked a couple of places that make rounds and freeze them, but I prefer the long strip.  I get more servings that are easier to cut. And, we have sold more wedding cakes since I offered the tasting option.  You can charge for it as well.  The place I work is overpriced, so we charge $25 for it, and it doesn't seem to be an issue.  I suggested putting that toward the cake deposit, but they can get away with not doing that.  One bakery I worked only charged $10. So, it is an option.  I've had a couple of people ask about tasting another type of filling with a cake, and I just tell them I can make a cupcake with that particular filling or buttercream, and they are OK with that.  

This is what my tasting looks like:

That looks fabulous! Thanks, that's good information! How long can they be stored frozen?

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 11:47pm
post #76 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

That looks fabulous! Thanks, that's good information! How long can they be stored frozen?

Thanks!

I've had them in there for several months.  As long as they are wrapped really well, I haven't had any issues.  

Stephr29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephr29 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 3:35am
post #77 of 84

A*

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 3:54am
post #78 of 84

@Stephr29 nothing showed up on your post.......??

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 4:49am
post #79 of 84

I usually bake extra batter in 4" pans and keep them in the freezer.

Also, any left over flavored buttercream filling and icing get scooped into 2 oz plastic cups with the lids and into the freezer.

The PERFECT BROWNIE PAN also makes very nice 2 bite samples!  I prefer mine a little bigger though.

I LOVE meeting with brides for consults.  Often, though, I do the to-go boxes for a fee, just so there is no pressure, and meet up for a consultation at a later date if it's a more detailed cake or more convenient for them.

Stephr29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephr29 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 12:44pm
post #80 of 84

A[@]MBalaska[/@] I can't figure out how to subscribe to a thread without posting something, so I just put a star to be able to refer to it later.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 1:36pm
post #81 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephr29 

@MBalaska I can't figure out how to subscribe to a thread without posting something, so I just put a star to be able to refer to it later.

At the bottom and top of each thread you'll see a star with the word subscribe next to it. Click on that and a box will pop up to ask how you want to be informed. Chose and click submit.

@MBalaska, I haven't figured out how you do that fancy spoiler alert :wink: 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 2:47pm
post #82 of 84

mimi, the spoiler is two over from the 'quotes' it looks like a darkened balloon for text like you'd see in a comic book

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 2:53pm
post #83 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

mimi, the spoiler is two over from the 'quotes' it looks like a darkened balloon for text like you'd see in a comic book

Yes! Thank you K8! @MBalaska is the only member I've seen use it (and quite effectively).

zirarzirar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirarzirar Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 5:28pm
post #84 of 84

I do consultations also

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%