Letters From Royal Icing Breaking!

Decorating By rydilly Updated 28 Jun 2013 , 12:52am by kaylawaylalayla

rydilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rydilly Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Everyone

I am doing a graduation cake with a cap. They want congratulations on it with the girls name.

I have made a template from the computer to trace over but my writing it terrible. I have use tip 2 and 3. After they are dry and I go to place them on the top of the cap they keep breaking!! I have done this 3 times.

Is there anything I can use so the royal will not keep breaking?

Can I make them from a stiff BC and hope they dry enough to place on top of fondant cap?

I need this done by Sunday

Any suggestion you have will help me

Thanks

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 10

Get letter cutters and cut them out of fondant or gumpaste.

rydilly Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 10

I do have cutters but she wanted fancy scrolls on the letters.   I will know better next time!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 10

its better to pipe royal directly onto the cake. Try to trace the words with a pin onto the cake and then pipe over it.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 10

Are you piping on wax or parchment paper?  If so, it should pop off easily when dry.  If they break, you can still place the pieces together as they are a perfect match -- nobody will know.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 10

I struggle with royal breaking too. So now I use white coating chocolate instead and find it doesn't break nearly as easily. Just do it the same way you did the royal, stick your pattern underneath wax paper.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 10

Do it like with floodwork: put the template under a lightly greased parchment paper and secure to a firm surface. Pipe over the template and let dry completely. The letters should come off easily when you slide a VERY THIN blade under them.

rydilly Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 11:09pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you for the ideas.    I am going to do them again and try wax paper instead of parchment.  thank you CWR41 for the info that I can piece the letters back together.   I didn't even think about that.

If this doesn't work this time  I am going to use Cakechick123's idea and trace on cap.   Thank you for that idea.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 12:46am
post #9 of 10

Parchment works just as well as waxed paper.  Are you sure you're giving it enough time to dry?  Does it break when trying to remove from paper?  Sounds like it's not sticking to paper but breaking as you handle it.  If so, try placing with tweezers.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 12:52am
post #10 of 10

AMaybe use a larger tip? Msybe your letters are too thin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%