Seeking Opinions/help On Business Brochure

Business By Stitches Updated 28 Jun 2013 , 11:38pm by jason_kraft

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:50am
post #31 of 46

A

Original message sent by Stitches

Yes. You have to remember that I'm not having any contact with the brides selling this way.The vendor sends me a simple email with the cake name, flavors, dated and count, no variations, no exceptions. It's got to be as simplified as possible (which it is). I've been selling this way for over a year now and it's working quite well. I've got my costs all figured out, any change bumps it into a higher price level. There aren't huge differences in design difficulty for me (all 38 cake designs are easy ones) really it's about the cost of my ingredients. 

It would still be pretty simple on both the venue's side and your side (in this case you are the vendor) to upcharge for a premium design and a premium flavor separately.

For example: Basic cake design with basic flavor = $A Premium cake design with basic flavor = $A + $B Basic cake design with premium flavor = $A + $C Premium cake design with premium flavor = $A + $B + $C

With your existing pricing model, the venue could take advantage by offering their customer free upgrades that come out of your pocket.

If the price differences among the preselected designs are not significant, I would just price them all at the highest price point and get rid of pricing tiers on the design side.

jason_kraft Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:54am
post #32 of 46

ARe the buttercream phrasing, your key point is that you are using all natural ingredients in your frosting with no artificial components or additives. Using "100%" muddles what should be a clear takeaway.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:52pm
post #33 of 46

I've corrected the errors and tried to make the changes suggested by everyone. Thank-you for all the help, it really is priceless!!!

I didn't cut the amount of type I have, but I trimmed it. Tell me the truth, should I just cut out my "Why you should use us" section or my "Who is Real Cake" section. I don't think they are too repetitive and they do contain important info. that a new contact wouldn't know about my business.

Also I couldn't think of how to talk more about my pre-decorated cake line with-out adding a lot more type, so I didn't improve that as suggested by Jason. Ideally, I would talk to the vendor myself about it and giving them my materials makes it clear.

Jason brought up the subject of having a page of wholesale info. on my website that brings the prospective client to my site. I'm not sure how to do that and keep it private from my retail brides. If I put a contact box on my Wholesale page it links direct to my email, then I can email them privately my wholesale info.. Sound good or is there a better way to do this?

tia

jason_kraft Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 4:00pm
post #34 of 46

A

Original message sent by Stitches

Jason brought up the subject of having a page of wholesale info. on my website that brings the prospective client to my site. I'm not sure how to do that and keep it private from my retail brides. If I put a contact box on my Wholesale page it links direct to my email, then I can email them privately my wholesale info.. Sound good or is there a better way to do this?

You can handle it on a case by case basis sending more sensitive info via email while just including a general description of your wholesale offerings on a dedicated wholesale page.

If you really want to look professional, it's not too difficult to configure a web site to require logging in with a username and password to access pages with sensitive info. A separate username can be set up for each wholesale partner so the information is tailored to them, plus this will allow you to track who has logged in.

jason_kraft Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 4:41pm
post #35 of 46

AIt's better but a lot of the info still seems redundant. The issue may be with the tri-fold format, I'm not sure it offers the best layout for the info you want to present.

Based on the copy it's still not clear what the differences are between the 'Decorator' (?) cakes and the custom cakes. I understand the difference based on your explanation in this thread, but if you have to explain your brochure to your customers in person in order to present the full picture something is wrong with your marketing material.

It almost sounds like you are targeting two different types of wholesale customers with the same brochure, if that's the case you could benefit from creating two separate versions.

Hopefully this thread underscores the importance of working with a marketing professional from the beginning. It really is a small price to pay to create professional materials that stand out from the competition and are used throughout the life of your business.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 5:08pm
post #36 of 46

I just wanted to chime in and say that your "modest" wedding cakes could be called your Collection. Everything else not in your Collection would be Custom, or Bespoke, just like tailoring. This is something that Peggy Porschen does (not wholesale though) - check out her website and see her pdf brochure about weddings for great wording. Just bear in mind that it is focused on brides reading it so some words may not be suitable for your target, but on the other hand just because you are a wholesale supplier doesn't mean you necessarily have to use cheap or tacky words. Not that you are at the moment, but I hope you know what I mean!!!

http://www.peggyporschen.com/weddings.html

Stitches Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 5:48pm
post #37 of 46

Wow, that's a great website. I own some of her books but never saw her website. There's a lot of good things there to absorb. Thanks!

I like your idea of a 'Collection'. That's where I was going when I renamed it my 'Decorator Line". I got stumped because of my name, it can't be 'Wendy's Collection'  (that's my name) or 'Real Cake Collection' (seems too wordy). I'll definitely keep thinking about this, it's a better idea than where I was with 'Simple'.

Hopefully this thread underscores the importance of working with a marketing professional from the beginning. It really is a small price to pay to create professional materials that stand out from the competition and are used throughout the life of your business.

Urg........is it that bad? It seems a lot better than the brochures I've gotten from my competitors......  bummer.

Based on the copy it's still not clear what the differences are between the 'Decorator' (?) cakes and the custom cakes. I understand the difference based on your explanation in this thread, but if you have to explain your brochure to your customers in person in order to present the full picture something is wrong with your marketing material.

It almost sounds like you are targeting two different types of wholesale customers with the same brochure, if that's the case you could benefit from creating two separate versions

I agree. I do need to figure out how to describe the differences better in my brochure!  I thought having them on two separate pages showed they were two different things. Vendors have an assortment of clients that use them. They get budget buyers and quality buyers even at the nicest hotels and private clubs.

Thanks for the input, I'll go back to the drawing board.

jason_kraft Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 7:26pm
post #38 of 46

AIt's not that the brochure is bad, it's just not as focused or professional as it could be, and if you end up hiring a pro and starting from scratch you will have wasted a lot of time. People who don't have a background in business or marketing tend to need outside help to produce top-notch marketing materials, just as someone who has never decorated a cake can't be expected to create a high quality product on their own.

Stitches Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 9:20pm
post #39 of 46

This is my third try to upload photos in the past half hour and the screen keeps freezing. It must be gods way of telling me not to!

But I need help and nothing is going to stop me...........trying yet again........

I'm totally beat...........I did my best today and took everyone's advise, to the best of my ability (with-out hiring someone else). Please tell me it's getting better????

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 9:29pm
post #40 of 46

On the second update...

top-quality all natural ingredients.

top-quality, all-natural ingredients.

Our all butter frostings

Our all-butter frostings

use US?

use us?

We provide scratch baked cakes

We provide scratch-baked cakes

at the same price other bakeries charge for mixes.  (I doubt it.  Perhaps it should read...)

at the same price other bakeries charge for mix-baked cakes. (or...)

at the same price other bakeries charge for box-mixed cakes.  (just a thought to better clarify you don't charge less than the price for a dry mix -- it's baked or finished.)

CWR41 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 9:43pm
post #41 of 46

On 3rd update...

3 tiered pricing

3-tiered pricing (or...)

three-tiered pricing

wedding cakes services

wedding cake services

are chosen we'll

are chosen, we'll

services, we invoice you directly.  So your client remains yours.

services, we invoice you directly, so your client remains yours.

almost limitless flavor options.

almost-limitless flavor options. (or...)

(almost) limitless flavor options.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 10:01pm
post #42 of 46

I think this is better, especially after typos from our dear cwr41.  It doesn't double up on the info about the all scratch baked and does a much better job on differentiating and explaining the two order options.

Stitches Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 10:12pm
post #43 of 46

Oh thank goodness............... I'll make the spelling updates asap.

Thank-you again CRW41!!!!!!

Jury isn't in agreement, until the big J shares his opinions!

.........just thinking.......I need to rotate the cake slice photo with a decorated cake...........

Stitches Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 10:27pm
post #44 of 46

hoping this time it's a winner..........

CWR41 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 11:00pm
post #45 of 46

On 4th update, you missed this...

are chosen we'll

are chosen, we'll

For both design services we invoice you

For both design services, we invoice you

so your client, remains yours.

so your client remains yours.

jason_kraft Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 11:38pm
post #46 of 46

ABetter...I like the "two services" panel, it explains the different options more clearly although the copy and text layout still needs work. The more I see this, though, the more I think that a trifold is not the right presentation. If I were designing this, the three inside panels would be part of the same design element that integrates the explanation of the differences between the services with the description and pictures of the services themselves. You can't fit that on one panel of a trifold.

It's also a little odd that you are attaching your name to the cheapest (or "value") collection instead of your custom cakes, which I assume are your flagship product.

Plus your URL is misspelled on the cover.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%