Gummy Top Of Cake?

Decorating By kgorhan Updated 9 Jul 2013 , 8:39pm by kgorhan

kgorhan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgorhan Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 4:10am
post #1 of 14

I love my white cake recipe, but when I make it in the half sheet size the top of it gets gummy even though the rest of the cake is done. It tastes fine, but there is that one part that tastes kinda fudgy. I am wondering if using Bake Even strips would help. Anyone had any experience with this?

13 replies
karicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karicakes Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 4:50am
post #2 of 14

ADo you use the heating core in the middle of the pan?

kgorhan Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 11:28am
post #3 of 14

I do not currently have one.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 14

It sounds as if it is not baking in the center.  It might help to lower the oven temperature (I use 310 - 315 F convection for larger cakes),  use bake even strips around the outside of the pans to slow the cooking at the edges so they don't overcook by the time the center is cooked, and use heat cores.  This will increase the heat to the center of the cake and also promote more even baking.  I used to use the metal flower nails, with the base under the parchment, and the nail poking up through the parchment.  For a half sheet I would use 2.  The flower nails work, but they are not perfectly flat on the bottom, and tend to rust over time.  Ateco makes heat core nails that are perfectly flat and don't rust.  A few dollars for a pack of 4.  I highly recommend those.  It will also take longer to bake a larger cake of course, so just leave it in until the center is cooked.  Also, if possible, make several thinner layers rather than one thick layer to speed up the baking.  HTH

kgorhan Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you. I purchased some bake even strips this morning. I am planning to go out tomorrow for the heat core. I baked these at 325 for at least an hour. The toothpick test said they were done. I will try the strips and the core tomorrow when I have to bake my next cake. Thanks again!

kgorhan Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 1:25am
post #6 of 14

Ok, I baked my cake using the heating core and trying to use the bake even strips. I had trouble with the bake even strips because they didn't want to stay up around the pan. The cake still turned out kinda gummy on the top, but the toothpick test says it's done. Any other ideas?

kgorhan Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 14

Just finished baking a 10" round cake and I used the bake even strips. It took a lot longer than I expected, but the top of the cake is still a bit gummy. Maybe I need to change my recipe?

mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 14

AHave you had this problem before with smaller cakes? Or just recently? Maybe your oven isn't keeping an even temperature.

kgorhan Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 3:26am
post #9 of 14

I am having the problem with just this recipe. My chocolate, red velvet, etc cakes all turn out just fine. I have narrowed it down to my white cake recipe. I have tried adapting it, but I think I just need to scrap it and start over. So does anyone have a good white cake recipe?

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 1:41am
post #10 of 14

AI typically get the gumminess with WASC after it cools and is stored. Now I just scrape it off with bench scraper .

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 3:19am
post #11 of 14

If it's just the very top of the cake in the middle of the top, try reducing the sugar just a little bit. I reduce the sugar when I make WASC and no more gummy tops.

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 6:15am
post #12 of 14

I also use the WASC and always get sticky gooey tops.  I just have to trim it off.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 9:58pm
post #13 of 14

ACheatize thanks for the tip!

kgorhan Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 8:39pm
post #14 of 14

Someone posted a reply with a white cake recipe that I wanted to try, but now it's gone. I wish I had copied it down. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%