Trying To Make A Gumpaste Figure For The First Time

Decorating By bcwalti Updated 26 Jun 2013 , 2:02pm by dawnybird

bcwalti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcwalti Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 2

Hello. So I want to try my hand at figure modeling. I was trying to find some instructions online or on youtube, but have not been very successful at finding answers to the questions I have. I read that you could either make a figure out of modeling chocolate or out of gumpaste. As my last attempt at making modeling chocolate (years ago) was a huge disaster, I would prefer to stick with gumpaste. I then saw that many people put support in it. But do I first mold the arms, legs, etc. and then add the floral wire, or do I stick some florist wire into gumpaste and then mold the extremities out of it (sort of like when you're making a flower stem)? Right now I was thinking to make the skeleton out of florist wire and then add gumpaste around it to form the body. Also, I'm unsure of whether my 2 people will be standing up on both their legs, or whether I should rather make them sitting down (considering this is my first attempt at this)? I don't know if the florist wire with gumpaste-upper body would get too heavy and the legs could not hold up the entire structure if the person was supposed to stand? I'm trying to mold 2 employees for an anniversary and employees normally don't just sit on their butt, so if I wanted them to sit down, then I guess I would also have to make office chairs.

Sorry that I ask so many questions :-)

1 reply
dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 2

I'm no expert at making figures, but I've done a few successfully. I would not build an entire skeleton  out of wire unless you're making these people huge and really heavy! I would use lollipop sticks or wooden skewers for the legs. Let the support stick out two to three inches below the leg so you can stick it into the cake (if they are standing.)Actually, I've done them with a stick in only one leg and they've stayed anchored in place quite well. The torso doesn't necessarily need support in it. You can let the leg dowel or dowels extend up through the "waist" and go into the torso, or you can just attach the torso with a toothpick and some edible glue.(melted chocolate, for one). The arms should attach to the body with only edible glue. The head can be attached with a toothpick and edible glue.

I would form each piece, like the leg, then insert your stick, then touch up the leg a little if it gets out of shape when you insert the stick.

I hope this made sense. It's much better if you can see it. Did you search Youtube for "how to make a gumpaste figure"? There are some good ones on there.

Good luck. I think you'll find it's lots easier than you are thinking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%