First Time Covering In Fondant

Decorating By aljaf Updated 26 Jun 2013 , 6:22pm by aljaf

aljaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aljaf Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 4

AI'm new at cake decorating. I am comfortable doing cakes in butter cream and adding fondant gumpaste decorations but I really want to try doing a 2 tiered cake in fondant. The cake is due tomorrow I have filled the layers with cookies and cream icing and I have added a crumb coat. Would it be risky to try covering the cake in fondant? as this cake is for an event. Or should I stick to what I know? Any pointers would be apreciated! Thank you

3 replies
RubinaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubinaD Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 4

Hello fellow BC'er. your cakes look wonderful, I think you would be able to cover a cake with fondant. if you go to sweetwise.com they have a video on their site that is easy to understand on how to cover a cake. by the way how big are the tiers? perhaps after watching the video, you would be the best one to judge your capabilities, since this is for an event. the trick to is to take your time. good luck.

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 4

Fondant takes a lot of practice. I would stick to what you know for now but definitely start practicing on cake dummies or family/friend cakes.

This is the technique that I use:

aljaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aljaf Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 4

AThank you for your help ladies! I ended up keeping it butter cream iced but I'm excited to practice fondant soon :) thanks for the videos! Thank you for the complements in my cakes and yes it's nice to see people from home on this site!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%