I make the following buttercream recipe:

3 lbs powder sugar
2 cups solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1 and 1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla
1 and 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice

I love this recipe (flavor and consistency), but I am concerned about the milk causing it to have a very short shelf life. If I buy buttercream from my local bakery, it tastes the same as above, but it has a shelf life of 6 months. Obviously, it is not the same. I have heard the above has a shelf life of like 2-3 days because of the milk. This is just too short. I am a busy lady and need to be able to make my buttercream ahead of time. :)

So, questions...

1. What is the shelf life of the above buttercream recipe?
2. Has anyone made the above recipe and changed the milk to water? Does it change the flavor or consistency?
3. Similar recipe suggests with a longer shelf life (but doesn't change flavor/consistency too much)?

Also, I purchased a strawberry filling sleeve from my bakery a couple of weeks ago, but did not use it all. It has been in the fridge since. What is the shelf life on this once it has been opened? There is nothing on the packaging. Wondering if I should throw it away or if I can still use it.

Thank you!!

5 replies
stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 12:05am
post #2 of 6

A.

sarahbakestudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahbakestudio Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 6

Any advice from the bakers out there?!

I searched through the boards an found similar questions but not for the type of frosting I am using. Thoughts would be much appreciated!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 6

Last week, while scouting out an alternate local source for edible printing, I spotted this page, on the web site of the very place that turned out to be my alternate supplier:
http://www.abccakes.com/Baking_Secrets_SGSL.html

sarahbakestudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahbakestudio Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the link. That answers my filling question and is a good reference point. :)

I think their buttercream timing is a little vague given that there are so many different types of buttercream.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, it is.

For my own part, since I use a simple cold-process BC (the recipe that's been on the back of the C&H powdered sugar box since before most of us were born, using all butter), I work on the basis that the shelf-life of ordinary, unopened table butter is weeks in the refrigerator, and months (or years) in the freezer, and that while opening the butter wrapper, softening the butter, and mixing it with other ingredients might introduce microbes, sugar itself is a preservative at the concentration found in frosting, and so the shelf life of the frosting is probably at least as long as that of the butter, under any given set of storage conditions.

And since I like my cake chilled anyway, I generally refrigerate my cakes.

And as to meringue BCs, well, I would imagine that using pasteurized eggs, and/or a recipe that involves enough heat to effectively pasteurize the finished frosting, would extend the shelf life.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%