Shimmer On A Whole Cake

Decorating By chezzabelle Updated 25 Jun 2013 , 11:30am by Peanut-Butter

chezzabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzabelle Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 8

AI am doing a cake for my sister in law to be and she wants me to make the cake shimmer all over, am i right in thinking i just brush on lustre dust or will it be patchy and clump in places? Any advice would be good (i am in the U.K if that makes a difference to the advice or anything lol) :-)

7 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 8

More than likely, yes. Make sure it is grease free if you used shortening or anything like that. Mix vodka in with the dust and paint it on. The alcohol will evaporate and give you a much more even sheen. 

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 8

There is nothing like airbrushing shimmer on to a cake. It is fast, less messy and goes on evenly. If you don't have an air brushing system, you can buy it in a can and just spray it on.

chezzabelle Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 6:28am
post #4 of 8

AHow many cakes does a can of lustre roughly do? I am doing a 12" 10" 8" but was hoping to do a run through as its the 1st ever wedding cake i have made :-S

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 7:00am
post #5 of 8

I used a can of silver lustre spray (PME brand) to cover a largish silver cake - I'm confident that one can would put shimmer on a 12/10/8. You don't want a thick cover on the whole cake.

Make sure you do something to contain the spray - someone hold a sheet up around the cake while you spray it or take it outside or something. That stuff gets everywhere!

chezzabelle Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 7:49am
post #6 of 8

AShe wants a pearl effect on white fondant would sliver be too harsh cos she likes the snowflake sugarflair lustre dust shimmer colour on white

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 11:11am
post #7 of 8

A

Original message sent by chezzabelle

She wants a pearl effect on white fondant would sliver be too harsh cos she likes the snowflake sugarflair lustre dust shimmer colour on white

Yes.

There is a cake in my gallery that is airbrushed with pearl luster. It is the champagne & white cake. There are also elements with silver luster & gold luster.

Peanut-Butter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut-Butter Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 11:30am
post #8 of 8

AI would just dust with a large fluffy brush, if its too intense mix with corn flour first to dilute it down especially if the cake is white/ivory underneath

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%