Success!- Imbc With Carton Egg Whites!!

Baking By morganchampagne Updated 25 Jun 2013 , 5:54am by morganchampagne

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 7

I know that this has been discussed at length, and there is alot of back and forth on if carton egg whites work and if they dont. If anyone is keeping tally, add one to the "carton egg whites work" category. I bought a carton of the 'All White" brand. Its a green carton. The first time I tried it, I used Rose Beranbaums method of pouring syrup in the measuring cup, and then pouring in the egg whites. THIS WAS NOT SUCCESFUL. I really think maybe I poured too much or something because it turned into a soupy mess. So I tried it again!. This time with a slow steady drip directly from the saucepan and it worked beautifully. The recipe I used Has slightly more sugar, and slightly less butter than the Cake Love recipe, if you are familiar. I got the recipe off of CC...SO if anyone is interested i can type it out again here. Just wanted to share that little piece of info!

6 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 7

Thanks morganchampagne!  I am still cracking all those eggs, but the carton would be a lot easier.  How much more expensive do you think it is compared to whole eggs?

Liz

morganchampagne Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 7

Well..at my local grocery store The carton was $4 but I can get a 3 batches out of it using the equivalent of 5 egg whites for each recipe. The reason I did it was because I really have no use for yolks. I dont make yellow cakes all that often, most requested are the white and chocolate. So it just made more sense for me. However if you have found other uses for your yolks then maybe cracking is best!

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 7

I couldn't find that brand from my food vendor, but I did figure out the cost of the brand they carried (Papetti - pasteurized egg whties/no water or milk added).  About 43.5 cents for 5 ounces of egg whites vs. 25 cents for 5 egg whites from cracked eggs (assuming you can use the yolks - if not the cost would be 50 cents if you wasted the yolk).

I love making French buttercream with the yolks, and lemon curd, but it would be good to have the frozen whites as a backup.

Liz

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 1:48am
post #5 of 7

Morganchampagne, would you type the recipe here when you have the time. I make smbc with the carton egg whites at times. It always works for me and taste exactly the same as when i use the real whites. I do love making lemon curd and french b/c also. I like to try other peoples recipes also. tia

morganchampagne Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:52am
post #6 of 7

Heres the recipe: (sorry for the late hour, had a list minute coconut cake added to my order list)

I got this recipe off of here...It was originally posted by ShirleyW so all credit and props to her!! :)

5 lg egg whites

1 1/4 c sugar

1/3 c water

pinch of cream of tartar

3 sticks (12 oz) butter (cut into pieces semi-cold)

2 tsps Vanilla 

1/2 capful orange extract (I didnt use this personally)

The method is pretty similar to all other Imbc methods. Her instructions say to heat the syrup to 240, I normally do mine anywhere from 245-250. Im pretty sure as along as you stay in that range it should be ok! I heard somewhere the recipe takes up to 2 ounces of liquid (probably at least 6 oz of chocolate), so its pretty forgiving!! If youre familiar with IMBC you know you can add almost anything imaginable. 

morganchampagne Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:54am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

I couldn't find that brand from my food vendor, but I did figure out the cost of the brand they carried (Papetti - pasteurized egg whties/no water or milk added).  About 43.5 cents for 5 ounces of egg whites vs. 25 cents for 5 egg whites from cracked eggs (assuming you can use the yolks - if not the cost would be 50 cents if you wasted the yolk).

I love making French buttercream with the yolks, and lemon curd, but it would be good to have the frozen whites as a backup.

Liz

Yes those times when I have lemon curd on the list of things to make I use fresh egg whites they do tend to whip up alot higher. But I just dont make it enough. So as the math shows, carton egg whites are just better for me. Thanks for the math though!!! I can show this to my business manager (my dad) to prove its worth it lol. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%