Wants A Moister Scratch Cake

Baking By cakeymom Updated 3 Jul 2013 , 4:07am by Jeff_Arnett

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 9

AAttached is my cake and I love the texture and taste but it seems just a tad dry. I purchased the cake enchacer from King Arthur flour.

Any suggestions other than me not overmixing or overbaking.

Thanks

Cakeymom[ATTACHMENT=919]Camera(0) (1).jpg (152k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

8 replies
Ellie33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie33 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 9

You can moisten it with some flavored or simple syrup.

cakeymom Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the suggestion but I really want to have the moisture added from the inside out. 

I have thought about adding 6 tbls of Buttermilk and 1/8 tsp Baking Soda.  I currently use whole milk?????

Cakeymom

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 9

AI'm actually not really sure about to get your recipe moist (going to culinary school in the fall to learn more) however I use the Whimsical bake house Chocolate Cake recipe and them fromscratch,sf white cake recipe. Both ate excellent in taste and really moist. Both can be found doing a google search if you are interested

cakeymom Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 9

I made a couple of adjustments to my recipe today by adding 6 tbls of buttermilk and 1/8 tsp of baking soda.  It's cooling now.  Of course I could not resist by cutting a small slice while still warm and I think that did it.  We'll see when it is completely cool.

Cakeymom

cakeymom Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 2:29am
post #6 of 9

AIt is perfect. My in house taste testers agree, that will be honest even when I don't want to hear it. YES!!!

Cakeymom

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 9

Look for recipes which utilize reverse creaming for the method.  Most of Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipes use this method.

cakeymom Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 9

I tried that on this recipe and it gave me a slightly denser cake, and it was moist without having to add the buttemilk. 

But, I do love the technique and if I need a quick poundcake I use it on this recipe.

Thanks,

Cakeymom 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 4:07am
post #9 of 9

I use the reverse method....this is my vanilla cake....always gets great reviews!

Vanilla Cake

Make two 8 x 2 inch layers.

Grease the bottoms of two 8 x 2 inch round layer pans, line with parchement or waxed paper, then grease and flour pan.  Wrap pan insulating strips around pans (I ALWAYS use these!)

Preheat oven to 325 F.

In mixer bowl, sift together:

3 1/3 cup WHITE LILY brand all purpose flour or cake flour

1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder

1 teaspoon Baking Soda

2 1/3 cups Sugar

1/2 teaspoon Salt

Add:

3/4 cup vegetable shortening or room temperature butter (both work well).

Mix on low speed until mixture resembles fine crumbs.

Add:

2 cups of buttermilk (I actually prefer adding 2 tablespoons of white vinegar to enough whole milk to make 2 cups and let set until its at room temperature, stirring a couple times), at room temperature, and 1/3 cup vegetable oil.

Mix on low to blend, then mix at medium speed for two minutes, scraping bowl frequently.

Add 6 large egg whites (or 1 1/8 cups liquid egg whites...no yolks to deal with) and two teaspoons vanilla extract.

Mix for an additional two minutes, scraping bowl frequently.

Bake at 325 F until cake springs back when lightly touched in the center.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%