Ever Did This???

Decorating By Lovelyladylibra Updated 24 Jun 2013 , 8:56pm by Lovelyladylibra

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 9

Have you ever finished decorating a cake stepped back and decided, you did not like it? Maybe even hated it? Did you just leave it as is or did you tear the problem off and start all over again? I had this problem this weekend on a first birthday cake I did. I finished it, looked at it and decided I just did not like the way it came out. So with about 1.5 hours to spare before the customer was to come pick up his daughters cake I scrapped off all the frosting, made a new batch, and redecorated it. Luckily with plenty of time to rephotograph! Here was the first design, which I had previously sketched out and it looked AMAZING, in my head:

I just didn't like the way the petals seamed so crowded in the rows and the top of the cake looked very lopsided all over. Plus you couldn't see the petal shape. So I scrapped it all off and did this instead:

First birthday cake for a baby girl made to match party decorations. The top tier is a 6 inch round with covered in American buttercream with piped buttercream and painted fondant details. The bottom and 8 inch petal with American buttercream ruffles. The topper is all fondant except the wire antennas. Thanks for looking.

I was MUCH happier with this design. The colors didn't look crowded, I could see the petal shape, and the top of the cake didn't look wonky! I also took a wire bended it into antennas and stuck it between the number 1 and butterfly.

If you've ever re-made a cake feel free to post your before and after photos too!!

8 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 9

Your cake looks great..and yes, I have finished a cake, walked out of the room, walked back in , looked at it and decided I hated it.

I strip them back down to the cake usually and start over.  My husband thinks I'm nuts. lol

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 9

I have done it but never took before pictures unfortunately. (Or maybe it was fortunate!) I think the first was a better idea but the second is definitely executed better. I can't sketch or draw so I usually just write down all the details of what I see in my head. It can lead to things not turning out quite right!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 9

I have wanted to do this but was always worried it would be worse the second time around...reading your post, though, gives me confidence to do it if need be!

Lovelyladylibra Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bct806 

I have done it but never took before pictures unfortunately. (Or maybe it was fortunate!) I think the first was a better idea but the second is definitely executed better. I can't sketch or draw so I usually just write down all the details of what I see in my head. It can lead to things not turning out quite right!

Lmao I could imagine! I confuse myself just when I write down simple directions.

Lovelyladylibra Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

I have wanted to do this but was always worried it would be worse the second time around...reading your post, though, gives me confidence to do it if need be!

I had that fear too and hesitated for a bit but I just knew I'd be miserable if I sent out a cake that looked like that!

Lovelyladylibra Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

I like your second cake much better. The ruffle design looks awesome and matches the top tier!! Love the peace sign!!! You did an amazing job!!! I really like it!!!!

Thank you :)

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 9

Either one is fantastic but the first one is more interesting to me - as a decorator - because I've seen ruffles before - but not the rainbow you created on the lower tier.  And yes I have hated a cake I've done before but usually a good night's sleep fixes that problem for me.  In the morning, after a big mug of coffee I can take a fresh look at it and reason that what I'm seeing is not what I would want but what the customer wants.

Lovelyladylibra Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie-1221 

Your cake looks great..and yes, I have finished a cake, walked out of the room, walked back in , looked at it and decided I hated it.

I strip them back down to the cake usually and start over.  My husband thinks I'm nuts. lol

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%