Baking In 2" Pans Vs. 3" Pans

Decorating By rdjr Updated 29 Jun 2013 , 8:18pm by cheeseball

rdjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdjr Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 5:55am
post #1 of 17

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I have always baked two 2" layers in my 2" pans and I just level them and stack to have two layers of cake and one of filling. But,I think it would be better and faster to bake in 3" pans and then tort into 1" layers so that I have three layers of cake and two of filling,I think that that would look better too once you cut into the cake. Also, I could bake a three tier cake at once in my oven!!. However, I was wondering if anyone bakes in 3" pans, torts into three layers, fills, and frosts to get 4" high cakes, as I use the SPS system for stacking, before I buy the pans in case it does not work, thanks everyone!

16 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 11:16am
post #2 of 17

Works for most of my recipes, but not all. I suggest you buy a pan and see how it works for you. And remember to use a lower temp for a longer time.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 11:52am
post #3 of 17

Seriously consider buying more two inch pans and baking one inch layers.  If your objective is to torte your cakes, baking thinner layers is faster and more efficient, especially in the long run.  A one inch layer might bake in fifteen or twenty minutes and there is no time spent on torting.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 11:52am
post #4 of 17

I didn't like my 3" pans, they never baked evenly, even with a heating core, so I prefer 2".   They also take over an hour to bake.  It might be me, though....

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 17

I like the 2" pans as well.  I tort each cake in half, and my usual cake is 4 layers with 3 layers of filling.  

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 17

Go with the 2''. Less time in the oven, less time cooling, better, lighter, moister product...definitely, 2''. Definitely.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 17

I have tried the 3 inch pans and prefer the 2 inch pans as well.

I have a few sets so that I can bake a few layers at once time to save some time.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 17

I gave away my 3" pans.  Could never get them to bake right.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 17

i put a parchment collar on my 2" pans to get to get enough rise so that the settled cake is an honest 1.85--2".  My cakes consist of two cakes sliced in half, so each tier has four layers of cake (usually 5/8") and three layers of filling. I will sometimes do a three layer cake with 1.25" layers, but it is quicker for me to get to 4" or 4.24" to go with 2 cakes than 3. The 3" pans take too long to bake IMO. 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 17

I prefer my 3" pans.  I bake 2" layers in them that are full height and need very little leveling.  I don't bake 3" cakes because they take too long.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 17

I was just thinking about giving three inchers a whirl...so you guys that dislike them, did you use the same amount of batter as the two inch pans or did you use more batter?  I was thinking that a three inch pan would be like collaring a two inch pan, without all the fuss.

rdjr Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:25pm
post #12 of 17

I haven't bought one yet to try out. But, I plan on using more batter, filling it 2/3 of the way and I will also be using a flower nail as a heating core. I use the WASC for all my cakes, except carrot, so I am hoping that if it works for chocolate it will work for all of them. last week, I tried to bake a three inch cake in my two inch pans by collaring but the batter spilled all over the oven and the parchment paper was everywhere...

rdjr Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:33pm
post #13 of 17

Also, thanks everyone for your input. I will be testing this out and inform ya'll how it went for me.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 7:36pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseball 

I was just thinking about giving three inchers a whirl...so you guys that dislike them, did you use the same amount of batter as the two inch pans or did you use more batter?  I was thinking that a three inch pan would be like collaring a two inch pan, without all the fuss.

This is my take on it--all the convenience of a collared 2" pan without the fuss--BUT, I'm NOT trying to get, nor do I want, a 3" layer.  3" layers take a lot more time to bake.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 10:24pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjr 

I haven't bought one yet to try out. But, I plan on using more batter, filling it 2/3 of the way and I will also be using a flower nail as a heating core. I use the WASC for all my cakes, except carrot, so I am hoping that if it works for chocolate it will work for all of them. last week, I tried to bake a three inch cake in my two inch pans by collaring but the batter spilled all over the oven and the parchment paper was everywhere...

uggg...that is horrible when it happens!  When you collar your pans, it really is to get a true 2" cake after it settles instead of actually extending a 2" pan to get a 3" layer.  The extra inch of parchment collar helps the cake climb up just enough so that when the hot cakes settles, it will exhale to being level with the top of the pan.  I find that WASC/box recipes don't have this process as much as your butter-based scratch recipes. A WASC baked low and slow doesn't have that shrink like scratch--pretty much WYSIWYG once it comes out.  

rdjr Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 12:38am
post #16 of 17

So here is what I found. I don't feel like mentioning the whole process because I'm to lazy to type, lol. But, I will be going back to using my two inch pans and just tort them to make four layers of cake and three of filling. Thanks to everyone for your input!

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 8:18pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann 

uggg...that is horrible when it happens!  When you collar your pans, it really is to get a true 2" cake after it settles instead of actually extending a 2" pan to get a 3" layer.  The extra inch of parchment collar helps the cake climb up just enough so that when the hot cakes settles, it will exhale to being level with the top of the pan.  I find that WASC/box recipes don't have this process as much as your butter-based scratch recipes. A WASC baked low and slow doesn't have that shrink like scratch--pretty much WYSIWYG once it comes out.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot 

This is my take on it--all the convenience of a collared 2" pan without the fuss--BUT, I'm NOT trying to get, nor do I want, a 3" layer.  3" layers take a lot more time to bake.

Yep, this is what I was thinking...not trying to get a three inch cake, just giving the batter somewhere to go to get a full two inch high cake.  I used to think that the three inch high pans were so that you could use more batter; after trying collaring, I began to suspect otherwise.

Thanks, my peeps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%