Cottage Food Law?

Business By bdonley Updated 24 Jun 2013 , 4:34pm by kearniesue

bdonley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bdonley Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 5

I'm a self taught cake decorator who's made cakes mainly for family and friends over the last 30 years. The local bakery (very small) has asked me to make cakes for any of their customers who might be interested in ordering one. I'm still not sure if this falls under Michigan's Cottage Food law. I would make the cakes at home, take them to their bakery (8 miles away) for customer pickup. Not sure where to go with this but I'd love to do it if I can make it work legally! Thanks.

4 replies
Rosie331 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie331 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 12:06am
post #2 of 5

Under Michigan's Cottage Food law you can only sell your goods directly to your own customers.  You could not legally sell your products through your local bakery.  I would let the bakery know that if they have costumers that would like a cake from you that they would have to deal with you directly!

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 5

That's correct.  Or, if you could bake in their kitchen during their off hours, you could become completely legal and it would be fine to sell to them.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 5

A

Original message sent by kearniesue

Or, if you could bake in their kitchen during their off hours, you could become completely legal and it would be fine to sell to them.

Except that probably wouldn't be covered by the CFL, so OP would need to be an employee of the bakery or spin off a separate business that operated out of the bakery's kitchen.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 5

Yep, guess i should have been a little more clear.  If you bake from their shop afterhours, you would have to get licensed and insured, but you'd be legal.  I think that's your only option to be able to sell indirectly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%