I Need Advice

Business By caking404 Updated 24 Jun 2013 , 8:03pm by lorieleann

caking404 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caking404 Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 5

AI am self taught in baking and I have taken the wilton decorators courses at my local Micheals. I want to step my skills up and turn my passion into a business. I am unsure what direction to go in next. Should I attend school? My choices would be le cordon or atlanta metro or schools that charge per class. Or continue to learn through youtube and other websites. I am very serious and dedicated to this and I want to make beautiful delicious custom cakes. Please help!!! All advice is appreciated

4 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 5

Practice. Practice. Practice.

Learn new skills - hone the ones you have. Take business classes - it's just not enough to be able to decorate.

Ten thousand hours.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 5

Definitely take some business and finance classes.  Also, read this forum daily!  As for decorating, I agree, practice works wonders!  How are your baking skills?  Le Cordon Bleu might be good, but it's not necessary.  Most of the bakers on here seem to be self-taught.  

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 12:38am
post #4 of 5

ABefore spending money on classes, do your research and figure out if you can even make a business work - is there enough of a market for the kind of cakes you want to sell, how much is it going to cost you to set up a business (local licensing laws, cost of equipment, cost of premises if required etc), how are you going to finance it.

Like a lot of wilton course graduates, I was ready to set up shop and get going with my own business until I started doing my research and realised it wasn't even an option where I was living at the time. I recently moved to another state so I'm starting over with my plans.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 5

IMO, culinary school is wonderful if you wish to learn a full range of baking (cakes, breads, tarts, and more) for a full-service bakery.  If you are just interested in making custom cakes, then you need just as much schooling in decorating technique and less about how to work with a laminated dough. Once you get your chops baking and have honed your recipes (or as some do, skip this in favor of using a doctored box cake mix ), then you can seek out individual classes on technique. Classes can be either on line free YouTube or paid courses like Craftsy, to group classes at events like ICES or Cake Camp or individual sessions with cake artists/ instructors.  For a small cake studio, business and marketing classes (either a structured class or self study with books and research on how to operate a small business) along with working on networking will help you more than knowing how to do production baking at a resort (part of the syllabus at the CC program I looked into).  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%