Pet Issues!

Business By Gem-cakes Updated 22 Jun 2013 , 9:51pm by Gem-cakes

Gem-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gem-cakes Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 6

AHello everyone! I need to ask your advice, I'd love more than anything to bake and sell cakes for a living but I have two fluffy cats and I always worry about the stray cat hair that might find its way into the cake mix. Has anyone else got pets and how can you get round the issue?

5 replies
cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 6

AI do not have pets in my home. But, however, I think what you my want to ask yourself is would you feel comfortable buying products from a person with pets in their home? And secondly, how many brick and mortars that sell food items are allowed to keep pets inside?

I am a pet owner with an outside only dog, so I am not trying to offend anyone and this is just my honest opinion.

Cakeymom

mashy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mashy Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 6

AI think the only way it would work is if you have an entirely separate kitchen which the animals can not access and find a way to get the hair off your clothes. Personally, I wouldn't buy from someone who bakes from home and has pets unless everything was done in a separate area of the house. I remember in elementary school there was one family who had a couple dogs plus a cat, and every bakesale no one would buy their things because you were guaranteed to find a stray pet hair or two. I still cringe when thinking about it....

Edit - I should add that I had a cat, currently have a dog, and no matter how careful I am and banish them outside, a hair or two always seems to find a way into what I'm making.

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 6

I have two goldens and even though they are never allowed in the kitchen, when I sweep, there is still a ton of dog hair.  That is one of the reasons I rent a commissary kitchen.   I cannot afford risk of having someone find a hair in my products.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 6

I'm not positive, but I am pretty sure there is no legal way to use a kitchen that animals have access to, (at least in NM, I would assume it's the same in other areas).

Unfortunately, you need a separate space.

Gem-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gem-cakes Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 6

AThanks everyone, will start looking into rented kitchens!! Xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%