How Do You Do It? Make All The Required Frostings, That Is.

Baking By Becky Jo Updated 29 Jun 2013 , 2:24am by scrumdiddlycakes

Becky Jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky Jo Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hello  - -I am revisiting an old hobby.   After many years of not decorating cakes I have decided to give it a go again!!   Well needless to say things have changed in 18 years. Where have all the stars gone?  :)

I have pulled all my old tools (the ones that have survived a couple of moves)   and have been shopping a lot.   Love the coupons, Craft stores and restaurant supply stores.   Not to mention all the information from this forum and youtube. 

Just baked a sample test cake to get my hands wet.

My question is do you have a secret/order to making all the icings that are needed?    Obviously I can pull some out as the mix progresses and sit it aside - -but I wondered if you have any thoughts on the process.

I plan to use a buttercream icing - -(It has equal amounts of shortening and butter)

From what I can tell I will need three versions of this frosting:

A: Thick consistency for dam   

B: Thin consistency for crumb coat

C: Medium consistency for icing under Fondant.

Is there a ratio out there I have not found that helps determine the amount to seperate out?   (I know this depends on cake size)  For my test cake I am making a two layered torted 9" round.  Do you make up different batches and just keep them handy?  If so, which is the easiest to store?  Do you change the recipe for the different versions?

And, one more question - -I am getting differing opinions on how the buttercream should be right before the fondant goes on. I am sure it ha to do with the recipe you use. - -Chilled or not?   Crusted or not?

Thanks so much for all your help and time on the forum - -I've been lurking for a few weeks now : )!!

Becky Jo

5 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 6

I make a HUGE batch of buttercream about every two weeks and keep it in the refidgerator.  I adjust the consistency as needed, but I store it at a "rose piping" consistency.  It helps so much to have it made ahead of time.  I am now baking my cakes ahead of time as well and putting them in the freezer to use and decorate as needed when an order comes in.  I don't keep them in the freezer for more than 2-3 weeks, though.

I put fondant on non-crusted buttercream, but it doesn't get sharp edges.  I'm a buttercream person, with fondant accents.  Way easier for me.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 2:59am
post #3 of 6

I don't work with fondant but just use one consistency of buttercream.  I make it the consistency so I can easily smooth it without tearing the cake.  Just start with a buttercream cake and go from there.  And I don't use a thicker dam since I just use buttercream for my filling.  Babysteps, start simple...buttercream filling and buttercream icing and then branch from there.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 6

AI make the same consistency every time. If I need icing for a dam I will pull some out and simply add more powdered sugar. I use the same consistency for all of my decorations, as well as crumb coating and icing the cake. On the rare occasions when I do stringwork or have to write on the cake I will add a little bit of water to thin out the consistency of the icing. Otherwise my icing is generally a medium to medium thin consistency and that works for all of my decorations. I store any leftover icing in the freezer.

Becky Jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky Jo Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 1:03am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the feedback - -making a cake this weekend!!

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 2:24am
post #6 of 6

For me, Wednesdays are 'icing day', lol. I simply look at my orders, and make all the required frostings, all the same consistency.

My crumb and final coats are the same consistency, as are my dams. I don't dam unless I am using a filling that might ooze, like a berry sauce or curd.

As for the frosting under fondant, I work with meringue butter creams, not crusting ones, but my cakes are always well chilled before I put the fondant on.

Since I work mainly with IMBC, I will usually just make a huge batch of that, then split it into separate batches and then add whatever is needed to make them chocolate/fruit/etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%