Stacking 2 Tier, Advise On Boards

Decorating By Tails Updated 24 Jun 2013 , 8:56am by Tails

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 9:27am
post #1 of 4

On the 2nd fondant tier, what thickness board is required?

I usually make my own drum from two heavy duty cardboard cutouts (with the corregation layered in cross directions if that makes sense) and cover in foil.

Would one layer of cardboard work? What about a cereal box cardboard cut out? Too thin? I'm not sure what decoration to have around the base of each layer yet. Might use a ribbon to hide the thick board or I might even do a topsy turvy via this tutorial.

Obv the first layer will have bubble tea straws for support :)

Thanks guys!

3 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 4

I use cake boards/cake circles that are around 3mm thick. It has to be thick and strong enough to take the weight of the cake without warping or bending, so a cereal box will not do the trick. You also need to make sure that the cardboard is pretty much waterproof, to avoid absorbing fat from the cake and therefore weakening it.

A cake drum is fine for the base of the 2 tiers.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti 

I use cake boards/cake circles that are around 3mm thick. It has to be thick and strong enough to take the weight of the cake without warping or bending, so a cereal box will not do the trick. You also need to make sure that the cardboard is pretty much waterproof, to avoid absorbing fat from the cake and therefore weakening it.

A cake drum is fine for the base of the 2 tiers.

And also that it is food safe.  The printed outsides of boxes may have dyes, coatings and waxes that are not food safe, and  have also probably been handled by a number of people down the line.  

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:56am
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%