Anyone Work At A Bakery?

Baking By lilybakes1 Updated 29 Aug 2013 , 5:49pm by BinkyFinder

lilybakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilybakes1 Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:28am
post #1 of 5

Hi!

Guys, I'm so desperate right now.  I already posted about this so please excuse the annoying-ness. icon_redface.gif

Alright, let's get down to business.  Three words.

Smiley. Face. Cookies. 

You know, soft yet firm cookie, when you bite into it the icing is somewhat soft, fudgy?? chocolate eyes/smile?

The bakery that I used to buy these at closed down and I can't find a recipe for these anywhere icon_cry.gif

So, does anybody have the recipe to these delightful cookies that they would be willing to share?

I know, I know, how pathetic do I sound right now?  IT'S JUST BEEN SO LONG SINCE I'VE HAD THESE icon_sad.gif

I need the real thing, and if anyone who works at a bakery would be so kind to help me out...icon_biggrin.gif

Oh! here's a picture of the closest thing I could find online:

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/sauers-bakery-carol-stream?select=S2TMa8xQ2MR6VOgmjVv1HA#PmzmEGntZnGWHjroBAVheQ

4 replies
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 5

The icing is a glace type---powdered sugar. flavour, colour and a bit of water to make it thin enough to flood or spread on.  Face features look like regular BC chocolate frosting ... bit on firm side.

I am betting it is a sugar cookie that is just barely underbaked so it stays moist.  What kind of flavour does it have?  --that is probably the real secret and it would probably use shortening or margarine as the fat in the cookie recipe.

on vacation so I can't get to my recipes sorry hope these hints help.

I know what you are talking about because as a child as a big treat we got bakery cookies like that.  I can't quite replicate the flavour.  I was from Chicago so any Chicago bakers.... what was the flavour used in those big sugar cookies?

( And we did nothing but home cook and bake at our house but buying from bakery was a rare and special treat!party.gif

lilybakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilybakes1 Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsugarqueen 

The icing is a glace type---powdered sugar. flavour, colour and a bit of water to make it thin enough to flood or spread on.  Face features look like regular BC chocolate frosting ... bit on firm side.

I am betting it is a sugar cookie that is just barely underbaked so it stays moist.  What kind of flavour does it have?  --that is probably the real secret and it would probably use shortening or margarine as the fat in the cookie recipe.

on vacation so I can't get to my recipes sorry hope these hints help.

I know what you are talking about because as a child as a big treat we got bakery cookies like that.  I can't quite replicate the flavour.  I was from Chicago so any Chicago bakers.... what was the flavour used in those big sugar cookies?

( And we did nothing but home cook and bake at our house but buying from bakery was a rare and special treat!party.gif

The cookie is kind of buttery but not too much.  It isn't TOO sweet.  I've been looking around some more and Short Paste Dough came up.  I've never heard of that, do you know what that is?  I've seen some recipes for icing and some include corn syrup while others don't.  I've never used corn syrup in icing before so I'm not sure what that does. ?? I wasn't sure if the chocolate would be a fudge frosting, maybe ganache?  I'm from around Chicago too!! Yay! Finally someone who knows what I'm talking about! thumbs_up.gif  Thanks for responding!  Have a great time on vacation!

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 5

AWhat types of recipes have you tried so far, and if they didn't come close, what attributes were lacking? This will help narrow the search.

Liz

BinkyFinder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BinkyFinder Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 5

I worked for a bakery that made cookies that had a soft frosting like you are talking about. The cookies were made with shortening so they were soft, and the frosting was melted (chocolate) fondant. Hope this helps. ^-^

We didn't make any smiley cookies though so not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%