How Do I Make An Open Mouthed Shark Head Cake Pop?

Decorating By texasbakergirl Updated 30 Jun 2013 , 3:37pm by jason_kraft

texasbakergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasbakergirl Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 6

I've got an order for 2 doz. Shark Head cake pops. I think I can model the head pretty well but I worry that the jaw or upper head might collapse since it is open.

I don't want to dip these and covering all of them in fondant seems too time consuming for the project price.

Any ideas from ya'll out there??

Thanks.

5 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasbakergirl Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 6

These were great. Thanks for the link. Think I can do them without the actual OPEN mouth now which would make them stable. Thanks again.

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 6

I think you are right about the stability of a closed mouth design (vs open mouthed). I've done shaped cake pops with sharp angles and there tends to be a problem with the way the candy drips off of the angle that results in cracked coating.

texasbakergirl Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 6

I made the cake pops and made an executive decision. No more cake pops.

Ugh. I spent as much time on those ridiculous things as I do a beautiful cake or cupcake at no profit at all. Thanks for all of the helpful advice from this great group.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 6

A

Original message sent by texasbakergirl

I made the cake pops and made an executive decision. No more cake pops. Ugh. I spent as much time on those ridiculous things as I do a beautiful cake or cupcake at no profit at all. Thanks for all of the helpful advice from this great group.

When we looked into selling cake pops I worked out that we would have to charge ~$60/dozen to make a decent profit. If you enjoy making them, you can try setting a higher price based on your labor cost and see how things go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%