Slimy Fondant!

Decorating By CraftyMamaBakes Updated 19 Jun 2013 , 6:55pm by maybenot

CraftyMamaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftyMamaBakes Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 5:57am
post #1 of 4

Hi, I'm Katy! I just created this account specifically to ask this questions, but I really hope to hang around here and join in conversations!

I've made 2 cakes recently where the fondant has become slimy. Both times it was marshmallow fondant. The first time I chalked it up to humidity and heat, but this time it was chilly out, and definitely not humid. This time my cake was frozen, so I'm thinking the coolness from the cake may have made it condensate? Either way, how can I fix it? I tried dusting with powdered sugar and a paint brush, but it only helped on the spots that weren't quite as slimy. I have another cake going out this weekend that I'll be covering on Friday, so I really don't want any more issues! Any advice is welcome, TIA!

3 replies
Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 9:23am
post #2 of 4

What was your MMF recipe?

kayak9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayak9 Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 4

AI am new at using fondant and I am making 3d figures for my twins cakes...so I have read I can store it ahead of time, but do I assemble them first or wait until that day? I was going to make marshmallow fondant so I don't know if that matters

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMamaBakes 
... This time my cake was frozen, so I'm thinking the coolness from the cake may have made it condensate? Either way, how can I fix it?

Condensation will form any time something cold comes in contact with something warmer and there is moisture present--just like room temp fondant being applied to a frozen, moist cake.

The way to stop condensation from forming is to put fondant on a room temp cake and if the cake then needs refrigeration, it needs to be boxed in the fridge and kept boxed on the counter until it comes back to room temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%