Cakes Didn't Survive The Trip :-(

Decorating By terrybiehl Updated 21 Jun 2013 , 2:11pm by ddaigle

terrybiehl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrybiehl Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 25

I made these cake for a wedding and only the one wrapped in fondant survived the trip in the car. The three tiered cake and the one with the cherry blossoms slid apart. I used dowel rods and supported each layer. What could I do different to keep them from sliding apart?

24 replies
AndreasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndreasCakes Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 25

You could try SPS. You can find a lot of info on SPS on this site.

JennaGee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaGee Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 25

Hi, I am so sorry to read about the disaster, but I'm glad that the cakes were still presentable! 

What did you fill the cakes with? Sometimes I find that my fruit or custard filled cakes shift a lot if I don't dam them in with BC or ganache.

The type of BC I use might also lend to the problem. If I use a softer BC (ie Cream Cheese), my cakes shift so I stick to my SMBC to ice and fill with the cream cheese.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 25

Yes, try SPS.  It works wonders.

terrybiehl Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 25

Thank you for the comments I will use the sps next time for sure. The cake picture was taken before they were moved. They looked like s___ when they got there. Will learn from my mistake.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybiehl 
I used dowel rods and supported each layer. What could I do different to keep them from sliding apart?

Each tier.  A central dowel or two (or multiple skewers) hammered through all and into the base board may have prevented them from sliding apart.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 25

SPS

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 25

APlease will someone tell me what sps is? I'm delivering a cake on sat and i'm terrified that will happen to me too.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 25

ARead my signature line, below

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 9:10pm
post #10 of 25

Were the cakes in the sun in the vehicle for a long time?

Was the road very bumpy or the car vibrating a lot?

Were the fillings/icings in the cakes "slippery"?

All of these things can contribute to sliding.

I make sure that the cakes are shielded from sunlight, that the AC is on full blast and actually hitting the cakes, and I put a thick layer of memory foam under the boxes to dampen vibration & bumps.

trinaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trinaf Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot 

I make sure that the cakes are shielded from sunlight, that the AC is on full blast and actually hitting the cakes, and I put a thick layer of memory foam under the boxes to dampen vibration & bumps.

Thank you for the suggestion of memory foam under the boxes!  I delivered a cake 2 weeks ago to a wedding in a state park and the curves in the road were bad enough, but the pot holes were the worst!  It seemed like the bumps were shaking the icing off the side of the cake.  

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 25

In addition to using SPS or bubble straws with two center dowels spiked into the drum, I always transport cakes chilled hard.  And the cakes are very hard because I bake a scratch buttermilk cake that has a high butter content (so the cake is firmer when cold than say an oil based cake or a doctored mix) and the buttercream is hard as well because of the butter content. I shield from sun (even place a blanket or beach towel over the box) and drive like there is an unstrapped newborn in the backseat. I don't care if I get passed--i am going slow and picking my way through a road with extreme pot holes or washboards (a common obstacle here when delivering to ranches). I also always make sure that my cake is level and in the back of the SUV. The back seat is too angled and the floorboards can become very hot if not insulated under the cake. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 10:35pm
post #13 of 25

Ok, neither one made it?? What did you do to those poor things that neither one made it? :( 

terrybiehl Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 11:45pm
post #14 of 25

I had each tier supported by dowel rods and I drove a dowel rod down through the entire cake. I did have a jam between the layers and the cake was moist which I think was part of the problem.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 2:23am
post #15 of 25

I hate to say it but all I can think of is that the cakes were not cold &/or you drove like the devil :(  I know all about bad roads. I lived in mountains and cities.   In the 30+ yrs I delivered cakes I can remember only about 3 or 4 that fell apart and boy do I remember how it feels! 

I have often used jam as filling.  I also have said that center doweling gives people false hope/sense of safety.

There have been other threads on how to drive with a cake - I wish I could point them out.  Maybe take the time to search them and pick up some tips that will help in the future.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 7:36pm
post #16 of 25

I have yet to loose a cake (thankfully), this is what I do/use: I use bubble tea straws for support in each tier and 2 wooden dowels hammered all the way though the cake (false security or no, I like my wooden dowels). All my cakes are delivered fully chilled (I think this makes a big difference)

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 7:44pm
post #17 of 25

I agree - a fully chilled cake does make a difference especially if the icing is buttercream. I also use straws and a center dowel. The only time I have had a problem is when I don't deliver the cake (knock on wood). The customer picks the cake up from me and takes it. I like delivering my cakes fully assembled.

nannycook Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 8:47pm
post #18 of 25

APunkin90 i didnt think you could put fondant iced cakes in the fridge? All mine are, so you can then?

punkin90 Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 9:30pm
post #19 of 25

I do put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge. I have not had a problem. There is just condensation that forms on the cake as they come back up to room temp. That will disappear after the cakes get back to room temperature.

nannycook Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 9:34pm
post #20 of 25

AWasnt sure, some say no, some say yes, only i have a 3 tier to deliver on sat, which are all made and iced and sitting in my cold conservatory waiting to be finished off tomorrow.

nannycook Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 9:45pm
post #21 of 25

AIs it better say if i wanted to put a dowell right through the center? Theres now way the cakes will split though is there? Just got this nagging feeling that if i do it like that will something go horribly wrong.

punkin90 Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 10:04pm
post #22 of 25

I do it on all my tiered cakes. Use the thick straws or some sort of dowel rods to support the tiers and put a center dowel rod all the way through the cake into the bottom cake board. You may want to give the dowel rod a twist before cutting it off. I have got them in the bottom board pretty good before and had a problem getting them out. Of course the cake can be cut around it. Be sure it is in the bottom cake board and drive slow if you are delivering.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 4:00am
post #23 of 25

Did you have the uppers layers each on a cardboard round?

punkin90 Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 1:11pm
post #24 of 25

Yes, each cake needs to be on it's own card board round. That is how the dowels or straws will support for the cakes.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 2:11pm
post #25 of 25

The only other thing I would ask...you said "car"......were these transported in a "car?"  Were they level/flat when transporting?    I always travel with a completely cold cake.   That and on a level surface are the only things I can control.....the crappy Louisiana roads..I cannot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%