Wilting Gumpaste

Decorating By practiceandpatience Updated 18 Jun 2013 , 6:37pm by southconft

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 12:41am
post #1 of 10

Any tricks to preventing gumpaste items from wilting in humid weather??

9 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 12:53am
post #2 of 10

Hi, you just have to be sure you keep them in a cool room . Keep a small fan blowing on them. You can put them in the oven (electric) on 150 degree for about 2 hrs. also. don,t know what gas temp. would be. I learned this some years ago from nick lodge. and scott woolley, etc. You just have to watch them and be sure humidity doesn,t get them.

practiceandpatience Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 1:31am
post #3 of 10

the items were just fine until the party, which was outdoors, then the items wilted? any way to prevent that?

southconft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southconft Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 1:43am
post #4 of 10

AHave u seen laquer spray? I live in south ms I'm order some have not used it yet. Got to work...

practiceandpatience Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 11:22am
post #5 of 10

AIs it food safe? As it will touch the consumable parts of the cake?

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 12:10am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by practiceandpatience 

the items were just fine until the party, which was outdoors, then the items wilted? any way to prevent that?

Wow this happened to me already and it was really embarrassing. I learned to put my gumpaste pieces and flowers on trays in my oven with the light on. I actually keep the light on right up until I am ready to use the sugar pieces. Just make sure to account for the electricity of having your oven light on for the period of time.

practiceandpatience Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 2:07am
post #7 of 10

so basically I needed to make sure the pieces are extremely dry, no moisture left at all in them, and then they won't wilt when they hit humidity at the venue?

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 3:27am
post #8 of 10

ADepends on how humid it is and what gumpaste you're using.

southconft Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 10

Ayes the spray is for cakes i found it on pastrychef.com its called edible spray lacquer its thirty five dollars buuuttt when u live in the hummid south and a gum paste flower is out side mid day a top a cuple hundred dollar wedding cake its a drop in the bucket uk?

southconft Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 10

Ayes the spray is for cakes i found it on pastrychef.com its called edible spray lacquer its thirty five dollars buuuttt when u live in the hummid south and a gum paste flower is out side mid day a top a cuple hundred dollar wedding cake its a drop in the bucket uk?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%