What Kind Of Twigs/vines Do I Use To Replicate This Look?

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 17 Jun 2013 , 5:11pm by JWinslow

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 12:21am
post #1 of 11

I've been asked to do something similar to the cake below. I'm not sure what to do about the middle tier - what kind of vines/branches do you think it is? It looks like real ones, but I'm not sure where to get something like that. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

10 replies
mpatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpatko Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 12:26am
post #2 of 11

I've never done that before but my best guess would be to check out the floral section at a craft store. You can probably find something like that.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 12:34am
post #3 of 11

I found the pic on pinerest. you could contact this person for help. i really like the cake. i posted before this one but don,t see it. i suggested michaels, acmoore. and walmart. then looked for the cake hth

http://brideganmusings.blogspot.com.au/search?updated-max=2011-09-24T17:22:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=20&by-date=false

whitecrafty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitecrafty Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 12:55am
post #4 of 11

Those are grape vines.  You can find them in the floral section of Michaels or Hobby Lobby, or pretty much any other craft store.

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 11:02am
post #5 of 11

Great - I thought maybe they were grape vines, but not sure where to get them. I'll look for them at Michaels. Is it safe to have them on the cake like that? It will be covered in fondant.

whitecrafty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitecrafty Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 11

Sorry, I don't know.  I have never used them on a cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 11

Pretty much every craft store has grapevine wreathes.  You just have to take it apart.  And you can sanitize the grapevine.

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 11

How do you sanitize them?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 11

AHow are you sanitizing your dishes? Same way.

h2o_db Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
h2o_db Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 3:48pm
post #10 of 11

here is what shanna ,who made the cake, said about the twigs in the comments on her website indicated by icer101

"

• The twigs are actually real, I got a mini wreath from hobby lobby from a different project and used the twigs from that. They were already curved and shaped for a circle (like a cake) I just had to stretch them a little. Although I believe modeling chocolate twigs would work just fine as well."

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 5:11pm
post #11 of 11

You can also soak the wreath's to make them more pliable and let air dry.  Pretty easy to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%