How Far In Advance Can Cupcakes With Buttercream Icing Be Made?

Decorating By thejetmama Updated 16 Jun 2013 , 2:17am by thejetmama

thejetmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thejetmama Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,

I am making 300 grad  minicupcakes(you've probably seen them on pinterest) and was thinking of baking them Thursday, frosting them with buttercream Friday morning, storing them in new pizza boxes in the school refridgerator for the weekend and on Monday(day of the event), taking them out and placing the chocolate grad hats on top. Do you think this will be okay or will the cupcakes be dry? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

7 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 8

If you have to bake them Thursday, I would freeze them until Sunday, pull them out and buttercream. Store overnight on counter in box wrapped with plastic wrap and add toppers on Monday. The fridge will dry cupcakes out, but if you freeze them, it'll hold the moisture in and they'll taste fresh baked. icon_smile.gif

thejetmama Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for your reply. How long do I need to defrost the cupcakes before I put on the buttercream or do I buttercream them when they are frozen? I never thought to wrap the box in plastic wrap, that is brilliant!

sixinarow Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 8

AIt won't take long. I pull them out of the freezer and let them thaw while I make my buttercream. By the time the frosting is ready, so are the cupcakes, it's ok if they're still a little cold. :) If you put them in the box before you frost them, it goes faster, is a little less messy and you only have to move them once. HTH

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 8

thejetmama,

Sorry for hijacking your post, but I have found that when I freeze cupcakes then thaw, the wrappers will pull away from the cupcakes. Maybe someone can answer both of our questions at once.

sixinarow Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 8

AThere's probably more than 1 reason for the liners, but since I started removing them from the packing they were frozen in to thaw, I haven't had peeling liners. When I thawed them covered, I think the condensation was what made my liners peel! :)

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 1:02am
post #7 of 8

AI frost them frozen - no problem!

Definitely don't keep them in the fridge all weekend! I ice cakes 24+ hrs in advance so I can decorate them but never ice cupcakes earlier than day of delivery.

Good luck!

thejetmama Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 2:17am
post #8 of 8

Thank you for all of your advice and input,it is very much appreciated. I only make birthday cakes 3 times a year for my boys' birthdays and this is a large undertaking for me, I am very excited about it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%