Website Advice

Business By BatterUpCake Updated 26 Jun 2013 , 11:15am by SystemMod2

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 134

I put up a website yesterday and wanted to know what others find vital to putting on their sites or like to see when visiting a site. Not sure if I am allowed to post it...but is has a photo gallery, guestbook, a page where I post reviews with pics, a fun facts and trivia, and "About" page, contact info and a blog.....I have never blogged...what to blog about??? Oh and a why order a custom cake vs a chain grocery cake.....Any input or ideas to draw people in would be great. Something different...I would like to post cool pics to give people ideas from the internet but do not want to violate any copyright/trademark laws. If any of you would like to give me permission to use your pics with proper credits that would be great. I want to add a servings chart. The one I want to use belongs to a baker in Massachusetts so I emailed asking permission. Wait to hear back.

133 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 134

It's fine to share the link here if you're asking for input.

As far as putting pictures of other decorators' cakes, I would not put those on my business site. Your blog or FB page would be a more appropriate platform for sharing those things.

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 134

OK..then here is the site... www.batterupcakeco.com  any feedback is qppreciated

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

I put up a website yesterday and wanted to know what others find vital to putting on their sites or like to see when visiting a site.

Vital -- the area you serve.

Like to see -- no spelling errors (use a spellchecker).

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 134

AThe site looks more like a personal site than one for a business. If you are serious about your business I strongly recommend contacting a professional web designer for help.

Free tip: your home page should include your competitive advantage, your contact info, the market you serve, samples of your best work, and an obvious link to the order form front and center.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 134

I don't like the sarcasm in the post explaining about grocery store workers. firstly, 12$ to me, is a lot to make. to insinuate that they don't work hard because they make so little (to you) is insulting. I make only 9.50 and you can bet that I take pride in what I do and food safety is my top priority. and I don't even work in a grocery store, I work in a gourmet chocolate shop and this line has me seething. how do you know that people who work in grocery stores will not be your customers?

kaylawaylalayla Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 134

also, italic font every where is unappealing and looks a little bit juvenile, in my opinion

kaylawaylalayla Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 134

sorry for posting so many individual times. is that your daughter? she's a cutie and i'd love to try some of her chocolate chip tea. I do think however that she should be a side bar. like still on the home page, just like in the upper right corner or something. if you are gonna have that big of a picture, I think it should be the product you are trying to sell.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 134

A

Original message sent by kaylawaylalayla

I don't like the sarcasm in the post explaining about grocery store workers. firstly, 12$ to me, is a lot to make. to insinuate that they don't work hard because they make so little (to you) is insulting. I make only 9.50 and you can bet that I take pride in what I do and food safety is my top priority. and I don't even work in a grocery store, I work in a gourmet chocolate shop and this line has me seething. how do you know that people who work in grocery stores will not be your customers?

Yes, don't do that. There are things we might rant about in here, but they are not ok to discuss anywhere ekse, least of all a business website.

Also, your littke girl is adorable and sweet and may very well be the inspiration for everything you do, but I don't find that a very professional front page. Sounds like you, the client and little girl will be sitting down for cuppa, and you're all going to talk about what she makes? Kinda odd.

AZCouture Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 134

A

sorry for posting so many individual times. is that your daughter? she's a cutie and i'd love to try some of her chocolate chip tea. I do think however that she should be a side bar. like still on the home page, just like in the upper right corner or something. if you are gonna have that big of a picture, I think it should be the product you are trying to sell.

We were typing at the same time...good that I'm not alone in that thought though, didn't want to be the meanie.

AZCouture Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 134

((sigh)) Now I'm on my computer and can type a little quicker and without errors. And I have a BIG problem with another area of your site. This:

I called around to see if any local bakers could do it on short notice. Only one would accept the job but wanted $160 to do a small 2 tier cake.I was flabbergasted!

Ok, my small two tier cakes are at a minimum $200. They're worth it it too. My time and expertise and level of skill are appropriate for that. And I get paid that, usually more. Can't remember the last cake I did that was less than $300. Just because you can't fathom paying something like that for cake, doesn't mean others won't. And if one of the driving forces behind you opening your own business is to "stick it" to people who charge appropriately, then that's really just awful. 

Not everyone can command pricing like I do, and that's perfectly ok. But please don't encourage even more people via your own website to devalue our hard work. When your skill improves and you can put something out there that isn't star tipped and amateur looking, I hope you realize your attitude is very demeaning to those of us who break our backs and do everything we can to support the pricing of our fellow decorators. 

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 4:19pm
post #12 of 134

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

((sigh)) Now I'm on my computer and can type a little quicker and without errors. And I have a BIG problem with another area of your site. This:

I called around to see if any local bakers could do it on short notice. Only one would accept the job but wanted $160 to do a small 2 tier cake.I was flabbergasted!

Ok, my small two tier cakes are at a minimum $200. They're worth it it too. My time and expertise and level of skill are appropriate for that. And I get paid that, usually more. Can't remember the last cake I did that was less than $300. Just because you can't fathom paying something like that for cake, doesn't mean others won't. And if one of the driving forces behind you opening your own business is to "stick it" to people who charge appropriately, then that's really just awful.    Not everyone can command pricing like I do, and that's perfectly ok. But please don't encourage even more people via your own website to devalue our hard work. When your skill improves and you can put something out there that isn't star tipped and amateur looking, I hope you realize your attitude is very demeaning to those of us who break our backs and do everything we can to support the pricing of our fellow decorators. 

AZCouture Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 4:23pm
post #13 of 134

?

mashy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mashy Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 4:30pm
post #14 of 134

I'm going to agree with the other posters in regards to grocery store workers.  I used to work in a grocery store bakery and I took great pride in my work.  Sure, I was somewhat limited to some of the designs - but if someone had a special request and I was guaranteed to be the one making the cake I would take the order.  I even did a few wedding cakes.  And I wish I made $12/hour!!

I'd change the font, and make it black.  I don't know about other people, but I have a hard time reading brightly coloured fonts on coloured backgrounds.  It also doesn't scream 'professional' to me.

Have a pricing section, even if it's something like "Servings start at ____ for basic cake, blah blah blah."

I'm somewhat new to at-home decorating, and tiered cakes, but $160 doesn't sound unreasonable to me at all.  Considering the time it takes myself to bake, fill, decorate just a single cake I can completely understand why professionals charge what they do.  Plus the cost of cake boards, boxes, etc.

AZCouture Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 4:34pm
post #15 of 134

When I add up the time to meet with, design, email communication/phone calls involved, shopping, prepping, baking, decorating, cleaning, delivering, and everything else....it's completely reasonable to ask for a good amount of compensation.

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 4:35pm
post #16 of 134

AI was not referring to grocery store bakers. I was referring to the factory workers who mass produce thousands of cakes to ship out all over the country. The tiered cake was 1 8" layer and a 6" layer. That may be reasonable in some areas but not here. Even the bakery said it would normally be $80 but was double because it was on short notice

AZCouture Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 4:39pm
post #17 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

I was not referring to grocery store bakers. I was referring to the factory workers who mass produce thousands of cakes to ship out all over the country. The tiered cake was 1 8" layer and a 6" layer. That may be reasonable in some areas but not here. Even the bakery said it would normally be $80 but was double because it was on short notice

So literally, an 8" single layer, meaning about 2 inches high, with a 2" high 6" layer on top? Really? That's the oddest tiered cake I've ever heard of. Do you mean perhaps an 8" tier with a 6" tier on top? Both being about 4" tall at least?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 4:41pm
post #18 of 134

I agree with everything other people have said. Keep your website businesslike.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 4:53pm
post #19 of 134

it doesn't matter who you were referring to. i'm sure a factory worker would be offended also. bottom line, it's insulting and unprofessional and will most likely turn away customers.

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 4:58pm
post #20 of 134

AAll feedback and constructive criticism are appreciated and I will make appropriate changes. After 20 years in the Navy I can be a little brash and rough around the edges without realizing it. That is why I came here for advice. Luckily it also made me thick skinned because some can be a little harsh. I realize some small cakes are well worth $200-300 but as it was kindly pointed out to me I am not at that skill level with my amateur star pointed cakes, so that is not the clientele I expect to attract. Not everyone can afford $200 for a 2 year old birthday party. I don't feel I am devaluing the costs of those bakers in that skill level. If someone comes to me for a cake like that I would refer them to a baker equipped to handle it. I apologize if I offended anyone and will make the changes. To those that complimented my Grandaughter thank you!

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 5:05pm
post #21 of 134

ANo AZ, her odd cake was a 3" high 8" round bottom tier with a 3"h 6 round top tier. It was for a small informal family party

AZCouture Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 5:05pm
post #22 of 134

Yep, good luck with your business and your site.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 5:05pm
post #23 of 134

I also meant to add that I think it would be good to keep the same font throughout the website. It feels kind of jumbled when it's different on different pages.

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 5:10pm
post #24 of 134

AJason good call on an order form. Marshy, I am working on putting together a pricing page. Would you suggest putting a serving chart up there? I have seen some pages have it and some don't. Thank you both for you help

AZCouture Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 5:21pm
post #25 of 134

Sorry if I was a bit harsh, it is not my intention to ever degrade or tell someone they suck. That statement though just really bothered me. And it doesn't matter what the cake looked like or how many it served. That decorator determined an appropriate price for her product, and your statement is exactly what most of us fight against hearing from uninformed customers when we quote a price. It's unusual for another decorator to say something like that, let alone insinuate to her potential customers that pricing like that is out of line. Do you understand what I am getting at? "Yeah, thank you, that pricing is ridiculous, thankfully we can come to you where we won't get ripped off! Glad we found your site, can I order a cake now?"

kaylawaylalayla Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 5:27pm
post #26 of 134

my suggestion for the grocery store vs custom cake section, if you decide to even keep it. is a table. keep it vague, simple and for the most part positive.

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 5:27pm
post #27 of 134

AI understand. This is the reason I posted here....to get get feedback from experts. I know I am inexperienced and need help. That is why I spend so much time here. I plan to make changes and appreciate you taking the time to apologize. I do not like to offend people but sometime I don't know what's offensive if I do not ask.

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 5:28pm
post #28 of 134

A

my suggestion for the grocery store vs custom cake section, if you decide to even keep it. is a table. keep it vague, simple and for the most part positive.

[ATTACHMENT=869]exampletable.docx (17k. docx file)[/ATTACHMENT]

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 5:29pm
post #29 of 134

AI will probably just lose that. I put a link to a blogger that discusses that very thing

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 6:52pm
post #30 of 134

Some changes have been made. Any other feedback? Anyone? lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%