Making A Tiered Cake For The First Time

Decorating By Jazzy90Gurl Updated 17 Jun 2013 , 12:24am by mpatko

Jazzy90Gurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazzy90Gurl Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 3

So I've been lurking around here for awhile and I love this site. I usually do cupcakes but now I'm doing my first tiered cake for my 3 year old nieces party. I got the Duff Goldman Tiered Cake Pan Collection so the cake will be 6" 8" 9". I also have 96 oz of Fondarific Fondant to cover the cake. I'm just confused as to how to make each tier a different flavor without wasting batter (I want to do the WASC cake but have it chocolate, and vanilla and the top tier wish be filed with strawberry jam per my nieces request lol). Can anyone help me out with this my math skills seem to fly out the window when trying to figure this all out. Also is the amount of fondant I have enough to cover the whole cake if each tier is two layers not huge layers but still two layers. Thanks in advance! 

2 replies
mpatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpatko Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 12:22am
post #2 of 3

In my experience, a single cake recipe fills two 8" pans nicely. I half my cake recipe to fill 2 6" pans. For the 9" tier, I'd recommend actually using a 10" pan instead. Using a single batch of cake will make 2 slightly thinner layers than in the 8" (resulting in different heights between tiers), and using a batch and a half will overfill your pans. A batch and a half of cake batter will fit better in two 10" pans. Plus, I think a 10" would look better underneath an 8". The size difference between an 8" and a 9" is so slight that it just won't have the same look when stacked.

mpatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpatko Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 12:24am
post #3 of 3

As for your question about the fondant, a 96 oz batch of fondant should be enough to cover the entire cake. If you're doing a lot of decorating with the fondant as well, you may need more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%