3 Tiered Cake To Feed 250 Heads..what Size Pans Please?

Decorating By jenscreativity Updated 14 Jun 2013 , 1:07am by Annabakescakes

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 20

What size round pans should I use to feed 250 pans with only being 3 tiers please? I'm think 16",14",12"..is that correct? Thanks!

19 replies
jenscreativity Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 20

anyone know please?? Thanks!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 20

Not quite enough.  (According to the Wilton chart)

16" round - 100 servings

14" round - 77 servings

12" round - 56 servings

233 total

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 20

8/12/16 Square = 232.   I would never have my top tier be a 12"...that's just way to big. 

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 20

AIs there a reason you are limited to three tiers? I would think a 16,14, and 12 might not be aesthetically pleasing as a stacked cake. It seems like it may look a bit unfinished without smaller top tiers. But if you like the look, there are those who find it acceptable to prepare a cake that feeds slightly less than the invited guest list, with the rationalization that not everyone will eat cake, especially if they will be drinking a lot. You could always do a three tier to feed 150 and then prepare a full sheet cake with minimal decorations as a "kitchen cake" to be served. I'm pretty sure if you do a true full sheet in addition to a three tier whose bottom layer is at least a 14, you'll get up to the requisite 250 servings.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 20

Commercial cake toppers and florist created floral toppers are automatically sized to fit a 6" top tier - because that's standard.  A 12" top tier would not be a good idea, visually.

Frankly, the only way to do that many servings in three tiers, is to double barrel them.  And I personally think that would look ridiculous.  Wait, a doubled 6/9/12 would only be about 200 servings.  Nope, that wont work either.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 20

Just ditto-ing what others have mentioned............a stacked 16, 14, 12 will look really unusual!! Definitely not a wedding cake kind of look.

I'd do a 14, 10, 6 for presentation and have the rest of the servings in the kitchen.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 20

Oh lordy, practically every wedding cake request starts off with "I need a three tier cake for.....". It's just what brides do, for some reason, a three tier cake is what comes to mind, and they have no idea about serving amounts.

The others have been very kind in their descriptions of what 250 servings in a 3 tier setup will look like, but I will just say it. It will look downright stupid. I sell a 250 serving cake in a 6 or 7 tier setup, no ifs and or buts. Maybe you can do less, especially using a  double barrel in the mix somewhere, but three tiers in a traditional setup will just look dumb, unless you have a topper that giant and balances it out. Which, probably ain't gonna happen.

jenscreativity Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 20

What about doubleing up the tiers from 14,12, and 10" to make them 6" tall vs only 4" tall?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Oh lordy, practically every wedding cake request starts off with "I need a three tier cake for.....". It's just what brides do, for some reason, a three tier cake is what comes to mind, and they have no idea about serving amounts.

The others have been very kind in their descriptions of what 250 servings in a 3 tier setup will look like, but I will just say it. It will look downright stupid. I sell a 250 serving cake in a 6 or 7 tier setup, no ifs and or buts. Maybe you can do less, especially using a  double barrel in the mix somewhere, but three tiers in a traditional setup will just look dumb, unless you have a topper that giant and balances it out. Which, probably ain't gonna happen.

I'm glad you said it so I don't HAVE to, but I will say it anyway: A 12" top tier on a 14" and 16" will look completely ridiculous! And horrible.

And that giant topper to balance it out? How about a huge fruit basket? A cornucopia made from a real woven "Horn o' plenty, stuffed with a bunch of pumpkins, corn on the cob and gourds and stuff? A suckling pig? How about one of those little electric cars?

Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity 

What about doubleing up the tiers from 14,12, and 10" to make them 6" tall vs only 4" tall?

That would still look pretty off, and not be enough servings, but WAY better!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 20

Where's that like button?

Anna, I love your quiet, shrinking violet self.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 5:16pm
post #13 of 20

Of course I am with the others lol

If someone says to you I need a 3 tier cake to feed 250 people, you say "actually you would need to do atleast... bLah Blah Blah"

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 5:17pm
post #14 of 20

its the difference between being a professional and being walmart. You have to knowwhat will look best and fit thier needs :D

Stitches Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 6:15pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:

Ask people how easy that is to serve. It's a NIGHTMARE! Your cake slice can't be longer then the plate.....and it takes a surgeon hours to divide that up so it doesn't look like mush slapped on the plate.

Ya gotta listen to what the pro.s are telling you, if you want to look professional.

jenscreativity Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 6:21pm
post #16 of 20

Ok thanks to everyone..ill figure it out

Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 7:26pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches 

Quote:

Ask people how easy that is to serve. It's a NIGHTMARE! Your cake slice can't be longer then the plate.....and it takes a surgeon hours to divide that up so it doesn't look like mush slapped on the plate.

Ya gotta listen to what the pro.s are telling you, if you want to look professional.

It's not if you do it in 3" tiers, stacked and iced together! You bake 3 of each size, and flavor, then torte them and use 3 layers per "tier" and them stack the 2 same size tiers together. It is really a 6 tier cake, but 3 of the tiers are the same size of the tier under it. KWIM?

Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 9:48pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 

Where's that like button?

Anna, I love your quiet, shrinking violet self.

LOL! Thank you!

Stitches Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 12:45am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

It's not if you do it in 3" tiers, stacked and iced together! You bake 3 of each size, and flavor, then torte them and use 3 layers per "tier" and them stack the 2 same size tiers together. It is really a 6 tier cake, but 3 of the tiers are the same size of the tier under it. KWIM?

OH....DUH.....now I get it.            I haven't done a 3" tier since like the 80's.       

Annabakescakes Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 1:07am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

OH....DUH.....now I get it.            I haven't done a 3" tier since like the 80's.       

hahahaha! I am doing one right now! But it also has a 4" and a 2" A remake of a popular one on Pintrest right now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%