Refrigerating Fondant?

Decorating By ashleybakes Updated 13 Jun 2013 , 2:58am by ashleybakes

ashleybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleybakes Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 8

This is my first post, so hello everyone!

I have only covered a few cakes in fondant (homemade if that makes any difference) and for my daughter's 1st birthday (yay!) I will be filling my cakes with strawberry cream cheese frosting and doing the outer parts in a sturdy buttercream.

Her party is Saturday at noon and I will be getting food ready that morning so I am planning on covering the cake in fondant Friday night. Will it be ok to put the cake back in the fridge once it is covered? I don't want it to look sloppy at her party as I am hoping it will lead some of my guests to start asking me to bake for their parties. 

7 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 12:02am
post #2 of 8

Some people swear by putting it in the fridge, others say never. For me, in the cooler months, I put all my mmf cakes in the fridge, in the warmer months, I don't. It's very hot and humid here in the summer, so when the cake comes out of the fridge, it sweats. I made an experiment cake so I could time how long it took for the sweat to evaporate off the fondant and it took 3 1/2 hours at room temp WITH the fan on. :/ So, if you decide to refrigerate, keep that in mind. The other thing to keep in mind would be the cream cheese frosting. It might become an issue if it's not refrigerated, it might be too soft under the fondant and give you some sliding issues, make sure you have a good, strong buttercream dam around the edge to keep it from sliding. You can look at my cake disaster pic if you want to see what happens when a dam isn't thick enough!!

Hope it all works out for you!

ashleybakes Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 12:18am
post #3 of 8

AI am in Florida so it's very humid here this time of year. My fiancée suggested freezing the cake so by the time the condensation is gone the filling may still be cool. I don't know about this either. I will make sure to make a very thick dam! Thank you.

sixinarow Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 12:30am
post #4 of 8

I use ganache under my fondant now instead of buttercream to crumb coat before the fondant. I feel like it holds up better in the heat but also gives crisp edges, so that could be an option for you as well!

sixinarow Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 12:48am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleybakes 

My fiancée suggested freezing the cake so by the time the condensation is gone the filling may still be cool. I don't know about this either.

Do you mean freezing the fondant covered cake or freezing the crumb coated cake before applying the fondant? Just wanted to check because fondant does not do well in the freezer!

ashleybakes Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:35am
post #6 of 8

AHe meant freezing the fondant covered cake. I wasn't sure how that would work, but I'm glad I asked! I will keep the cake refrigerated until we head to the party location which is indoor and air conditioned and I will leave it out there. I know I have let cream cheese frosting sit for at least 2 hours without it going bad. Hopefully it holds up! Thank you for the help :)

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:44am
post #7 of 8

Hi, please read this. It is great info on freezing fondant cakes and how-tos. by BlakesCakes. hthhttp://cakecentral.com/t/742444/freezing-a-wedding-cake-2-week-in-advance

ashleybakes Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:58am
post #8 of 8

AIcer101 That was so helpful! I won't have time to freeze and then allow 24 hours in the fridge but I think I will box it the way BlakesCakes suggests before I refrigerate and maybe I will avoid condensation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%