What Kind Of Icing Is This?

Decorating By agildart Updated 13 Jun 2013 , 2:40am by kakeladi

agildart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agildart Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 4

Everytime I make a buttercream (with 1/2 shortening, 1/2 butter, sugar, vanilla, milk or corn syrup to thin) it crusts, which I know is exactly what it's supposed to do.  However, when I go to a bakery and order a cupcake with buttercream frosting, the frosting is not crunchy.

I'm confused.  Is the bakery buttercream somehow different than mine?  I use the Wilton recipe.

3 replies
MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 4

I can't help much with this but it sounds like they use a different ratio in the ingredients. Perhaps more butter than shortening, or less sugar and more syrup? Or maybe, they use something that comes ready-made and just color it.

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 1:55am
post #3 of 4

AIf it isn't crusting, they are doing something different than you are. Perhaps using all butter, perhaps making a meringue-based icing. I personally could never get ABC made with Crisco to crust due to the lack of trans fats. When I make ABC with the store brand shortening, however, it has a definite crust and that crunch you spoke of.

Do you like the crunch or are you looking to get away from it?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:40am
post #4 of 4

What makes a b'cream crust is the amount of fat vs. the amount of sugar.

The more fat the less it will crust.

The best ratio is 2 cups of fat (be it butter, shortening or a combination) to 2# of sugar.

Sooooo, yes, the bakery is using a different ratio in the icing they make/use.  It may be *almost* the same, just using more fat or it could be totally different.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%