Cant Get Stars To Stand Up And Not Fall Over!

Decorating By lizthorsrud Updated 12 Jun 2013 , 2:02am by DriveMeBatty

lizthorsrud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizthorsrud Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 9

I made stars and put them on the green floral wire.  Every time I put them into the cake they still fall over.  They are ripping the cake up.  What are the tricks to hold it up?  I used heavy enough sire I believe.  Help please!  Do need to get them to go through the cake board?  I tried this once and ended up hitting my hand into the cake.  :)  hehe.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I am doing 2 layer 8,6,4" cakes with buttercream and fondant.

8 replies
TheCakeDude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeDude Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 9

AI usually use a pretty thick wire, not the green floral wire but just a spool of 16 or 18 gauge wire. Also, I cut the end that goes into the cake at an angle, giving it a little sharpness. When you put it in the cake, get it all the way down till it hits the board, then grab the wire with a pair of needle nose pliers, and gently tap the pliers down with a tiny hammer to nail it into the board without jamming your fingers into cake.. Did that make sense?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 9

Cut straws or coffee stirrers to put in the cake first.  Then put the wires in the straws.

lizthorsrud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizthorsrud Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 9

ok, I REALLY like these ideas.  I switched them onto 17 gauge stainless steel, and I can go steal some drink stirrers at the gas station hopefully.  :)  I was wondering how to get it into the cake board, so I will try to tap it in there.  Seems like it would be hard with a star on the end?

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 9

If you use a drinking straw, fill it with melted chocolate (or candy melts) before sticking the wire into it. It hardens and holds the wire still, protecting your cake from contact with the wire and the thicker straw won't easily cut through your cake like the wire did. (Plus, it's just not safe or sanitary to put wire directly into your cake.) If you do this, you shouldn't have to stick it into the cake board.

TheCakeDude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeDude Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 1:35am
post #7 of 9

AI totally forgot to mention the straws... I always use straws as well, but tapping them into the board will keep em there. It won't keep them from turning tho, I might try the melted chocolate next time...

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 1:43am
post #8 of 9

How big or how thick did you roll out the fondant or gumpaste?  It sounds to me like the stars are too top heavy and that's why they are not holding up.

DriveMeBatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DriveMeBatty Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 2:02am
post #9 of 9

I recently did a cake where I had lightning bolts on wires sticking out from the cake. I used lollypop sticks to prevent the wires from ripping up the fondant. Worked great - although each lollypop stick is only wide enough to allow one wire in it. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%