Wilton Pans

Decorating By TL Jones Updated 11 Jun 2013 , 11:24am by manddi

TL Jones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TL Jones Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 1:44am
post #1 of 10

ADoes anyone have any tips on using the Wilton pans? I have the 6in round pans and regardless of what mix I use and how long they cook for - my cakes turn out undercooked. I also have the 6in square that does the same. I found the Wilton baking guide on their website but it didn't help. Any recommendations? ?

9 replies
cakebaker3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker3 Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 1:50am
post #2 of 10

This may sound "odd" but is your oven temp working correctly?  You may want to try an oven thermometer.  The wilton pans are the only pans I use and have never had any problems with them.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 2:03am
post #3 of 10

AWilton pans aren't the best but you should still get a decent cake out of them. I agree that it's probably you oven temperature.

Crissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissa Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 2:03am
post #4 of 10

AI use the Wilton pans too and don't have any issues...I always use bake even strips so the edges don't cook faster than the middle...also helps with doming. other than that I would recommend confirming your oven temp as said above. HTH. :)

TL Jones Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 2:22am
post #5 of 10

AI'll check my oven temperature. Although I replace my heating element a few months ago. I always use the bake even strips with all my cakes. I've never had any other cakes in any other size do this. Just these smaller Wilton pans give me a terrible time. And I desperately want to make a smaller cake for my daughter's bday :(

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 2:23am
post #6 of 10

I have the same problem with my fat daddio's 6" pan (3 inches tall).  It does feel like this pan is much thicker than any of my other pans -- could that be the problem with yours?  For me, I end up lowering the temperature and baking for longer anytime I do use this pan.  

Definitely make sure you are not using the bake even strips with your problem pan.  And in case the problem is your oven temperature, try baking an 8" cake and see what happens?

TL Jones Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 2:27am
post #7 of 10

AI'll check my oven temperature. Although I replace my heating element a few months ago. I always use the bake even strips with all my cakes. I've never had any other cakes in any other size do this. Just these smaller Wilton pans give me a terrible time. And I desperately want to make a smaller cake for my daughter's bday :(

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 2:59am
post #8 of 10

What temp are you baking at? Probably all you have to do is lower it, and bake longer.

TL Jones Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 11:08am
post #9 of 10

AThe Wilton website said 350°you for 25-30min. By 30min, it was still runny. It ended up bakng for about 45min. The centers were still overly moist.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 11:23am
post #10 of 10

AThe thermometer that comes with most ovens are rarely accurate (even if it's new). Oven thermometers are cheap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%