Americolor Vs Wilton? And Airbrush Suggestions?

Decorating By mgreen44 Updated 9 Jun 2013 , 12:21am by cakestomuch

mgreen44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgreen44 Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 3

So, here's the deal, I live in a small area. The only place you can get any cake decorating supplies is Michaels, and the small section of Walmart. For this reason, pretty much everything I have ever used is  wilton. I've started doing a lot more cakes recently, and I really want to get an airbrush. I'd have to order one online, and I really don't know much about them, so I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a good one?

Also, a bakery here has just brought in new products you can't get anywhere else here. Such as satin ice, americolor, first impressions, etc. I've never used americolor, I've got loads of wilton colors, but they frustrate me. Is it worth my while to start getting Americolor instead now? Or are they pretty much the same thing?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out :)

2 replies
nikileebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikileebakes Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 3

When I decied to start decorating I bought TONS of wilton food coloring and then I found out americolor and I love it so much more! I feel it takes a lot less to get the colors the shade you want and I also really like they come in bottles rather then those screw off things. Now the only the time I really use my wilton colors is if I am out the americolor verison. 

I also really like using Chefmaster food coloring. We use at my work.

cakestomuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestomuch Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 12:21am
post #3 of 3

Americolor makes different types of colors. There are the gel colors, regular and then the airbrush colors. I like the gel since I use less in icings, batters, etc. To use the gels in the airbrush you have to dilute them with water, vodka or lemon extract. They also have a sheen color for the airbrush which I like.

I bought some empty squirt bottles from Joanns to mix the gel colors with vodka.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%