Transporting Cakes

Decorating By eicie Updated 6 Jun 2013 , 8:30pm by cupadeecakes

eicie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eicie Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 3:56am
post #1 of 11

I don't know if there is a thread on this or not but I'm interested in what tips everyone has when transporting your cakes to their destination. How do you keep them stable and from receiving the least amount of damage while transporting them? Thank you in advance for all input, ideas, advice.

10 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 5:01am
post #2 of 11

Hi and welcome.  I just lay mine down flat on the floor board on top of a towel.  Works great. I have a Honda Element and the seats fold up so I have lots of room.

When I had a sedan, I would put a very large tray on the back seat, fill in the gaps with towels, put a non slip mat on the tray and it worked as well.

Shrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shrey Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 5:22am
post #3 of 11

Hi,

If you want to transport a "CAKE" from one place to another place then try to put your cake on flat wooden plate or something similar to that and try to fill the remaining gaps with the clothes or something so, it will not move and keep stable and it will receive Least amount of damage to the cake.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eicie Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks everyone for the welcome & tips. I have a Nissan Xterra, Have plenty of room so that's not a problem. It's bumps in the road, which you can feel every single one in my vehicle, keeping them from sliding, & I guess the biggest problem is ME. My husband always does the driving while I babysit the cake in the back of the car and it's always stressful for both of us. I'm always nervous about every little bump, turn, etc. and that drives him crazy & he gets impatient w/me.  I can't help it. I put a lot of work, blood, sweat, & yes, sometimes tears (lol) into my cakes & want them to make it in one piece. So far my cakes have not suffered any major damage during transport but always looking for ways to improve in all areas. Just looking for a way to make it less stressful on both of us, Thanks vgcea for the link. Lots of good ideas there.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 11

eicie, you really will need to change to a different vehicle.  The reason is because the suspension on those are not made for cake deliveries.  As soon as you do you will see what we're talking about.  

I can go alone, if the cake is not so large that I need help to carry it in, and not look back once and the cake will still be fine when I get there.

If you can't afford to buy a vehicle, ask a friend or neighbor for help and pay them the delivery fee.  Do it just once and you'll see the difference.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 11

I always travel fully assembled...and with a cake that has been completely chilled in the frig over night.   A cold cake is a safe cake. 

eicie Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 11

auntginn, a new vehicle is definitely out of the question @ this point & time. This might sound a little crazy, but I was thinking about those memory foam mattress commercials on tv. How they put a glass filled w/wine & have those people jump up & down on the mattress & the glass doesn't tip over/spill or affect the other person sleeping on it. I wonder if I could try setting my cakes on a piece of that to absorb the impact of the bumps in the road & w/the weight of the cake sinking into it would help keep it from sliding. Just a thought. Might be worth a try & a less expensive than buying a new vehicle...lol.

eicie Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 11

Hi ddaigle, I see you're from Louisiana. We're neighbors...sort of. I live in Laplace, LA.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 11

Eicie....and with these crappy roads....that is just another issue we have to deal with!!!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle 

I always travel fully assembled...and with a cake that has been completely chilled in the frig over night.   A cold cake is a safe cake. 

I agree completely with the above.  I put non-slip shelf liner (the bumpy rubber kind) under the cakes in the back of my SUV (a CRV and a Pacifica) and I let them ride.  Anything over one tier gets a center dowel rod for stability.  I don't ride in the back with them, there's really nothing I think I could do back there but get in the way.  As far as bumps in the road, I have most of the bad ones memorized on the stretch of highway I use most often and I avoid them if I can.  I used to come to a complete stop at railroad crossings and "tip-toe" over them.  It jarred the cake WAY worse than just going over them at a reasonable rate of speed.  I would not go car shopping just yet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%